APC Forum

Mist

I've been curious for years what exactly this black mixture is comprised of. You can see in the picture a small firecracker whose contents I poured out: there's a red match head; a black powder which acts as both a fuse and a plug (it is not gunpowder); a grey flash powder which is the stuff that explodes; and ultimately the tube of the firecracker.
These firecrackers don't use visco fuses. This type of firecracker is popular in central and eastern Europe and China (they're all made in China actually) and you might not be familiar with it.
Anyway once you ignite the firecracker the black stuff starts burning slowly while releasing smoke and hardens inside the case as to provide compression so the flash powder can explode and not just fizz. There's clearly sulfur from the bad smelling smoke that comes out and there has to be some oxidizer but I think there must be something else too that makes it turn into a plug while it burns; I also don't know the proportions of the chemicals either. I can't find any information anywhere on the internet and I've searched everywhere. Does anyone know what this is? I can share more pictures.

post-22672-0-10647800-1580852845_thumb.jpg

I believe that material is called glusatz. It's a slow burning fuse material in the German style knallkorper ("match strike firecracker", I call it).

In my library is a book with clear descriptions and formulations to make a facsimile of these.

PM me for more data.

WSM B)

• Like 1

Thank you so much, I finally know after these many years. I did not know the name of the composition otherwise I would've found details earlier. Of course a visco fuse is superior and doesn't smell as bad as this. The glusatz packed inside a paper tube does burn under water though and I used to tie small lengths of wire on match crackers to make them sink and watch them explode under water. Are there multiple versions of this composition?

I for one would be interested in how these are made too. As we all know the wind only blows when you are trying to light a fuse. I would love to be able to make a strike anywhere fuse that could be attached to regular visco fuse for windy conditions. Kind of a slip on style that you could strike with a piece of sand paper of match book striker material. Of course it would need to be something that didn't include red phosphorus since it is impossible to get anymore.

Edited by Piccaso

Piccaso, the classic glusatz is not strikable. You have to add a chlorate containing striker mixture on top to be able to ignite it as a match head.

@Mist: Glusatz can be altered and made slower by changing the Ba nitrate ratio: http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/glusatz.html

@Piccaso:
1. Strike anywhere compo does not contain RP. The match striker does however.

2. RP is available if you know where to find it. If you live in USA, good luck explaining you are not a meth head if you are caught.

I believe that material is called glusatz. It's a slow burning fuse material in the German style knallkorper ("match strike firecracker", I call it).

In my library is a book with clear descriptions and formulations to make a facsimile of these.

PM me for more data.

WSM B)

Why not post it up? I’m sure a few will find it interesting. I would, if only for curiosity’s sake. :{)

Yes I was thinking of a combination of the two items to make a device. Freakin good ole Unlce Sam making things hard on us people not wanting to cook meth. There are a lot of old comps I have found that red p is a ingredient but scraping it off of match strikers or road flares all day doesn't sound fun. The few always ruin it for the many. I was more interested in the comps together to make a strike able timed ignition device that would be wind proof and time adjustable. This sounded like a good way to accomplish it. Thank you all for your input different perspectives are quite useful.

Mist, chinese delay composition is sulfur-rich black powder mixed with calcite or/and dolomite.

I think you're right. I did some tests to determine if there's barium compounds in the composition and it came out negative. Also even when it is ignited outside of the tube there's no green flame whatsoever. I don't think they use glusatz but something cheaper and easier to make, like what you described.

Red gum and gum Arabic can slow bp down significantly in higher quantities. They're two of the things that have been used successfully in beraq delays. There are a lot of ways to slow down bp. Glusatz just one way to get it done