APC Forum

non-hygroscopic sodium/calcium salt

THEONE

As the title says, is there any non-hygroscopic sodium salt? (for yellow color) Chlorides and carbonates are both hygroscopic and i don't want to waste strontium/barium salts for a yellow. I can't find any info about sodium oxalate though.

For calcium salts, Caco3 does not seem hygroscopic to me but on the net, they claim that it is hygroscopic. No idea for oxalate though. I really don't want any sulfates too because i am using kclo3 as an oxidizer at the moment.

La criolita no es higroscopica (fluoaluminato de sodio) y el oxalato de sodio, los dos se utilizan en las fábricas de fuegos artificiales.

Sodium oxalate, cryolite and sodium benzoate are used in pyrotechnics. Sodium benzoate is a whistle fuel, so it's friction and shock sentisive with chlorates. Sodium bicarbonate is used in some glitter formulas, and I've stored some Winokur 20 for a long time without issues.

Calcium oxalate contains one water of crystallization (and as far as I know, it will try to gain it back if anhydrous). Having such water is generally seen as bad, but since chlorate is a ferocious oxidizer, maybe it can actually be useful. I have not used chlorates though, so I don't know. Water of crystallization is chemically bound and doesn't corrode your composition or make it soggy, and you know exactly how much there is.

I see some sources claiming that calcium carbonate is hygroscopic, but I haven't found this to be a problem in practice either, not that I have a lot of experience with it. Industrial grade calcium carbonate is dirt cheap, but it contains some sulfides. This is true for lithium, strontium and barium carbonates as well. I've made chlorides with them using HCl, and they all evolve some H2S.

Cryolite is not hygroscopic or soluble in water. Same for calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is found in nature as chalk, limestone, marble, calcite, aragonite, etc...