APC Forum

What must be stored in a magazine?

jshrader13

Trying to make sense of all the laws and restrictions, I would like to get some things straight.

1. What exactly must be stored in an explosives magazine?

I'm going the Type 4 magazine route with a Jobsite box, but I don't know what needs to be kept inside it, and what is okay or needed to be kept out of it. For instance, I think any explosive composition (such as black powder) must be kept inside it. But do I also have to keep the individual chemicals to make it inside the magazine, or only completed compositions? Also, what about chemicals that are considered more unstable, such as dark flake aluminum or magnesium? Are they required to be kept inside a magazine even if they aren't mixed with other compositions? Is it okay to store explosive compositions in the same magazine as completed fireworks, such as rockets, shells, etc, or do they require a separate magazine?

2. Are there any specific requirements for individual chemical storage? Specifically in regards to magazine storage?

I think things like potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal are relatively stable and benign by themselves, but what about things like certain metals, or chlorates, (I'm pretty leery of chlorates, but just for personal safety reference). Are there any requirements to keep a particular chemical isolated in a magazine?

3. Are things like completed stars, which are not explosive in and of themselves, considered explosive compositions for purposes of storage?

Lets say I make a batch of D1 Glitter stars, or some Red Rubber stars. Since they're not part of a completed shell or other firework, do they have to be stored in the magazine? Or can they be kept in a Tupperware container on a shelf? Once they're primed, I would make the assumption they "should" be kept in the magazine, but what if they're unprimed stars?

I think that's enough for today. Getting my ducks in a row before I dive back into the hobby. Thanks!

. Edited by Carbon796

• 4 months later...

Individual chems are not required to be stored in a magazine. Only completed items and devices such as stars and BP must be stored in a mag.

PM me for more info

• 6 months later...

The technical answers is found in the Fire-marshal regulations/guidance / state law and regulation and federal...

secondly, if you look at the fine print of your home owners (and it can get complicated if there's covenants in the mortgage documents on your house, but I'm getting into the technical/legalese weeds)

anywho

chemicals are just chemicals until unless... they get to regulated types/compositions/amounts

See the kickers is, are you a licensed and hence regulated person? or not, and in your state are you required to abide a certain set or sub-set even as an amateur or not?