APC Forum

Man loses hand and breaks leg in explosion while making rockets in Chermside

stix

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-31/brisbane-man-blows-off-hand-in-explosion-homemade-rocket/11834068

Be careful people (especially noobs). Making rockets isn't as simple as what you see on you-tube. You have to do your research, do small tests, take you time and build up from there.

Have a safe and happy new year.

Cheers.

These cases make me want to drop everything!

Then it occurs to me that working with the head you can avoid bad problems even if you can never be completely safe.

The man was unwary to produce his experiments at home with other people around, especially children.

For example, my laboratory is always locked with a warning sign and the workplace is always well cleaned.

Fortunately, the four-year-old boy was unharmed!

Certainly man has made wrong passages.

It occurs to me that there can be two causes.

He was hitting a BP rocket with unsuitable tools or he was hammering a whistle rocket.

I'm not saying I haven't done some dumb things in the past. But at least it didn't put others in danger. (I think).

• Like 1

The biggest problem is getting "comfortable" with what you are doing! We all know there are idiots out there that never bother to learn how to do things the safe way, but I believe they are in the minority. Most people, do take the time to be safe, but after doing something a bunch of times without anything bad happening, it's real easy to relax safety protocols. If you ever start hearing, in your head, something to the effect of; "well nothing bad has ever happened after all this time...." Stop right there and remember bad things can and do happen. Maybe posting stories or videos of bad accidents is a good thing to remind us of what CAN happen.

• Like 1

I read about this too, I live in Brisbane just a 20min drive from West Chermside where this happened. Do you know any other details Stix?

Managing to do this with just KNO3 and sugar seems amazing. Maybe something more powerful was being used or some type of metal casing and a very large amount of fuel was involved. As mentioned whistle is possible but I doubt it considering the chemical sourcing is somewhat difficult in Australia.

Regards, AP

It could be that he used the wrong tools to ram the rocket, metal equipment for example.

Although the PB seems safe and not very powerful but when pressed its strength is no less than other compositions.

They are all possibilities but the only one who knows is the victim. Of course it would be interesting to understand what really happened.

Those who live in that area may try to know more details.

Unfortunately this is an art that can have risks, this last year of the year it happened to me that out of 100 rockets fired at New Year 6 ended up out of line exploding over the roofs of the houses, which left me perplexed and worried. the vouti rockets to determine the cause but apparently there seemed to be no anomalies booo I will have to understand why in the future.

However, nobody got hurt and luckily they were 2-inch shells.

Edited by Nitrotitanite
  • Like 1

The article specifically mentions making rocket fuel. I don't see how anybody could think black powder or sugar rocket propellant could do this. There are containers on the deck, and no evidence of any tooling. The picture of the rocket at the end of the article is perplexing to me. Hopefully anybody here that has ever mixed large amounts of pyro chems around children will think about this accident before they do it again.

• Like 1

Yeah. I can't see this happening with a sugar rocket. It must have been some other concoction. I guess we'll never know.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this. Very sobering article reminding us as to how quickly we can get consequences for an error in judgment or failure to recognize a danger.
  • Like 1

Very sorry to hear and I wish the victim strength !! if he will ever read this feel free to contact me if you need any chat.

He is not the only victim, and he will not be forgotten!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/10/mexico-firework-explosion-tultepec-disaster-recovery

I hope everybody will consider reading more about safety and keep educating eachother

Edited by Iceland

It could be that he used the wrong tools to ram the rocket, metal equipment for example.

Although the PB seems safe and not very powerful but when pressed its strength is no less than other compositions.

They are all possibilities but the only one who knows is the victim. Of course it would be interesting to understand what really happened.

Those who live in that area may try to know more details.

Unfortunately this is an art that can have risks, this last year of the year it happened to me that out of 100 rockets fired at New Year 6 ended up out of line exploding over the roofs of the houses, which left me perplexed and worried. the vouti rockets to determine the cause but apparently there seemed to be no anomalies booo I will have to understand why in the future.

However, nobody got hurt and luckily they were 2-inch shells.

I have to agree with justvisiting here, black powder - even when completly contained - cannot do this damage. I've seen a few CATO's in my time, none of them can shatter an entire level of windows and almost kill someone. There is something else that went on here...

Regards, AP

Yes, in fact it is true if the tube had been made of cardboard, but assuming that the tube was made of another material or a metal box or wrapped with clamps with an important diameter, then the damage can be considerable.

Then in my opinion the version is not entirely clear, they say he was mixing a composition, but who can say it with certainty? After the explosion everything was destroyed, the version of a man in a state of shock cannot be trusted.

I remain of the idea that a rocket was ramming.

I don't think it was stupid enough to mix a large amount of perchlorate, chlorate or perganate composition etc ...

Then precariousness I am never surprised by human stupidity.

• 3 months later...
Im new to this hobby and live 5 mins up the rd! It is unfortunatly illegal to make yourown fireworks or rockets here with out an explosives and pyrotechnision licence! So it adds more danger as people do things in places they shouldnt because setting up a nice workshop is risky your likley to end up arrested as a terrorist, it really sucks! I can get KClO4 and have extensive chemistry background but i want be getting any because screaming fireworks are even more attention gaining! But that is how he died! Trying to ram perchlorate, it is very unforgiving and i believe he was tryingto do it dry and there are 2 reasons why he could have dies righ tggg there! Not sure if that what happened but if you ask me there is a good chance bn if he did ram it dry, that is why it went boom!

Im new to this hobby and live 5 mins up the rd! It is unfortunatly illegal to make yourown fireworks or rockets here with out an explosives and pyrotechnision licence! So it adds more danger as people do things in places they shouldnt because setting up a nice workshop is risky your likley to end up arrested as a terrorist, it really sucks! I can get KClO4 and have extensive chemistry background but i want be getting any because screaming fireworks are even more attention gaining! But that is how he died! Trying to ram perchlorate, it is very unforgiving and i believe he was tryingto do it dry and there are 2 reasons why he could have dies righ tggg there! Not sure if that what happened but if you ask me there is a good chance bn if he did ram it dry, that is why it went boom!

What kind of a background in chemistry do you have? Just interested, seems kind of rare to find someone who has an 'extensive' knowledge of chemistry, especially explosive/ pyrotechnic chemistry.

Regards, AP

You have an "Extensive Chemistry Background". Then you must know a lot about chemical reactions in regards to pyrotechnics. At least I'm smart enough to know I'm stupid. :P

Edited by stix

Im 3/4th the way though an aerospace engineering degree in propulsion and I wouldnt even say I have a great background in the chemistry of all this. Like stix, I know enough to know Im stupid, but more importantly, I know enough to know what stupid is, and when to avoid it and be safe.

If youre not 100% confident, take a few more steps back. And if you are 100% confident, look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Like 2

Im never 100% confident, when i say extensive chemistry background i dont mean a doctorate in industrial chemistry, i worked in the sugsr mills as a juice chemist and as a control chemist so i know enough to know to be as carefull as you can and take every precautio you can all the time! Dont get complacent as it will get you killed! Will look up the dunning-kruger effect now!

I like the bit in the video i watched on the dunning kruggar effect that says humans are drawn to want to know a bit about alot of things, it is very very very true! Not offten does someone know alot about 1 subject! And i know my skills with this art are far far below average! And would love someone who lives in australia willing to help to contact me if thete is anyone on here from australia