Photo
- - - - -

Potasium perchlorate old and lost potency?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iceland

Iceland

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

I have had some potassium perchlorate for years at least from 2011 it is.. and it seems it lost its potency..   I was wondering if putting it in a stone pounder normally used for herbs..

would the potency come back?  or otherwise ball mill it?

or should I buy new potassium perchlorate.  I asked an expert chemist but he is not into pyrotechnics so he could not answer my question..  

back in 2011 this stuff was super potent 

#2 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

I'd blade mill it, wouldn't hurt it.

#3 Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Smelt the smoke

• HE Qualified
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:51 AM

Blade milling will help, but to fully restore potency, blend in 0.5% finely crushed sildenafil citrate.

Not only should it restore potency, but it should make your perchlorate fuller and longer lasting.

Edited by Elisabeth, 22 January 2020 - 11:08 AM.

#4 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:47 AM

Blade milling will help, but to fully restore potency, blend in 0.5% finely crushed sildenafil citrate.

Not only should it restore potency, but it should make your perchlorate fuller and longer lasting.

Ahem...  :P

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#5 PTFE

PTFE

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Elektrochemistry, high voltage stuff

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

this one is hilarious :o :D :D :D

edit: I don!t think that storage, even when wet, will hurt the molecule. Its just clumped a bit and not as fine as it was beforehand.

Edited by PTFE, 23 January 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#6 davidh

davidh

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:45 AM

Exactly how does a molecule lose "potency"? It would have to react with something in the surrounding environment and change into a different molecule.

This happens to aluminum, magnesium, magnalium, red phosphorus, charcoal, iron/steel, and others, but none of the common oxidizers (as far as I know) .

#7 SharkWhisperer

SharkWhisperer

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Well, my Pot Perch seemed to have lost "potency", too. Drawing on my vast knowledge of pyro chemistry, I arrived at the conclusion that my perc had, over the course of several weeks of neglect (I ignored it while I was making BP stuff), degenerated into the typically harmless salt substitute KCl. Genius, right? I know. So I acted accordingly, lest it go to waste, and promptly added it to all of my kitchen salt shakers. You know...KCl and hypertension control vs NaCl. But I was very surprised when I was grilling some heavily "salted" ribeye steaks a few months back, and they immediately burst into flames and shot approximately 4 feet (a little over a meter, Euro People) straight up off the grill, did a perfect flip, landed back on the grill on the opposite side, sizzled for a little while, and then blew up again just like the first time. I was stunned any mystified. But no more explosions and after 6 more minutes I had the tastiest steak ever known to man! The seasoning seemed a little off, though, but it was still super yummy!

Now it's been a few months later and I have developed this huge goiter, which I'm sure is unrelated to anything pyro. I mean, of course perc hinders iodine uptake at the thyroid gland, but I stay safe with that stuff, and stick with KCl in the kitchen.

So, although anecdotal, this serves as an example of how KClO4 can indeed degrade to a very useful kitchen seasoning!

Disclaimer: <<Newbies. This is sarcasm. KClO4 does not degrade without the assistance of a blowtorch. It is mildly toxic. Do not eat it, ever, please. >>

Edited by SharkWhisperer, 28 January 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#8 Pyro55

Pyro55

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Pyro, Organic Chemistry ,Firearms, Photography

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

I still have a pound of dark Al from Star Lake Enterprises*.  It is as good as new.  I store my AL in large ammo cans with desiccant.  I store my oxidizers like this too.  They last forever.

*Anyone remember Star Lake Enterprises? 

Edited by Pyro55, 07 March 2020 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users