APC Forum

Alternative Resorcinol formaldehyde binder query

Arthur

There was in the UK a small group of people making stars and big comets using a two part resorcinol formaldehyde wood glue. Worked cool (straight from the fridge!) these had a good work time but warm they cured in minutes -a 2" comet would be fully set in 15 minutes ready to fire.

Has anyone here any useful experience of this? It was most certainly a two part polymer that could be thinned and washed with water til it set. Unfortunately the info has faded with the UK scene.

Are you looking for info on it, or for the resin itself ? It used to be pretty readily available, but mostly specialty stores only carry it now. Phenolic resin is more commonly used now. Alcohol bound, and can be cured/cross linked with hexamine and heat, if needed.

roger,

i think you can still get it in the uk.

it was a mix of 5 parts resin with 1 part hardener.

phil cooper used to use it for his comets.

i thought it was thinned if necessary with acetone but could be wrong.

the resin was a thick gloopy orange / tan syrup, the hardener a buff coloured liquid.

try boat builders suppliers in the uk

here is phenol resorcinol resin which might work as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akzo-Nobel-1711-2520-Resorcinol-Resin-Wood-Glue-Adhesive-Boat-Building-Repair/173675079859?hash=item286fd768b3:m:mOAqXgxNRGwUB2U-si6TIkA

also

http://www.gluesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_152&products_id=1138

Edited by dave321

I'd really like a USA supplier that has a resin that a person here can actually recommend to make really good stars quickly in the USA. Even better if somewhere like Ace Hardware stocks it.

Aircraft spruce stocks it. Its not woodweld, but a " house " brand.

• 3 weeks later...
in past I found a urea-formaldehyde glue. It seemed promising,but I don't remember getting the results I was after. It was from Ace as well. Something like wood weld. I cant remember the name exactly. I'm curious about the rescorcinal version though and where to source that one as well.