APC Forum

Stuck Star Pump

CityPigeonPyro

I need help. I am usually good about cleaning my tools after I use them. The other night I was pumping stars and it was late (2 am-ish) and I was falling a sleep. I gather my stuff and cleaned it up. Not realizing that I left my 3/8" brass star pump behind. I found it today and it is stuck with the piston in it and the dextrin hardened. I was pumping D1 stars with just a dextrin binder. I have tried to tap it with the mallet and it is not moving. I put a small divet in the piston already and don't want to ruin it. Right now I have it sitting in some hot water hoping it will penetrate and loosen it up.

Has anyone had this issue before and what was your fix? Was thinking maybe I could boil it and get it moving. I use to use a torch to heat up seized car parts to get them to move. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I think, soaking it, or boiling it is your best bet. Should get in there and loosen up that comp eventually

Well the nitrate is soluble in water, and the dextrin should soften in water, so that should likely free the parts of the pump. If you want then put the whole stuck pump in boiling water which should break the hold of the dry comp by expansion of the metal of the tool.

If that doesn't work after a day or so then probably the metal powder is binding on the tool and you will need a bigger hammer and need to accept the possibility of damage to the tool. (fine sharp granules of titanium will easily get between the parts of a tool and score the mating faces).

I boiled it today for about 20 min and I was able to get it apart. Thank you for all the advice. The only metal in the D1 formula was fine aluminum. It seems to be OK except for the small divot that I made hitting it with the hammer and from the bottom side with a smaller piece of brass trying to push it out.