APC Forum

Tell if batteries are available to fire igniters, is it useful?

rfremotech

Hello everyone here!

We are developing a technology which is with the ability to tell if batteries are available to fire igniters, we are going to use this technology in our future firing systems. Do you think it is useful?

With our experience, people use meters to measure the voltages of batteries, the voltages will probably indicate high, then actually they can flow very few amperes and can't fire igniters at all, especially when the batteries are used for a long time, so the technology is been developing by us.

Your comments are appreciated.

Stephen Ye

Would it give you the amperage of the batteries or just give you a "green light" that the batteries are good to use? I always use an ATV battery with my Omega Firing system and have all my equipment ran to them. It is only 4 pieces and I never had any issues. I am hoping to get a couple more 32 units with the awesome sale you have going on to the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone here!
We are developing a technology which is with the ability to tell if batteries are available to fire igniters, we are going to use this technology in our future firing systems. Do you think it is useful?
With our experience, people use meters to measure the voltages of batteries, the voltages will probably indicate high, then actually they can flow very few amperes and can't fire igniters at all, especially when the batteries are used for a long time, so the technology is been developing by us.
Your comments are appreciated.
Stephen Ye

"Stephen', what's your Mandarin name?

I've bought from you over the years, very recently included, with good experiences. But when you present yourself on a public forum, you need to remember that the world is a small place. Marketing/expansion is obviously your primary motive. Ok. With caveats:

"Ability to tell if batteries are available to fire ignitors"...Hmmm. Primary concern would be uniformity in measuring test/firing current through any igniter, as always. Test my battery? And consistently bad/misperforming battery testers? New phenomenon to me. I have a fantastic battery tester/analyzer. Where did you learn that "voltages will probably indicate high"????

I call bullshit. Unless you can justify that last statement, which I think might be difficult...

And this criticism is coming directly from a repeat customer of yours.

Perhaps put your stuff in the Vendors/Suppliers page, please, instead of here.

I'm on your side, my friend, until you begin speaking untruths or semi-truths.

SW

Edited by SharkWhisperer

A voltmeter can show high voltage for a mostly-dead battery. A proper battery tester will draw some current, and show the actual condition of the battery. Having a built-in battery tester calibrated to the current draw of the firing system might be useful as an extra safeguard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I have used common disposable igniters to ignite fireworks, but I would like to use a permanent igniter instead. I’ve tried to make my own by using a thicker nichrome wire, it work, but the 9V battery I’m using have a hard time glowing the nichrome wire and it kills the battery fast. What kind of battery is ideal for my application?

Rechargeable Lead-Acid Batteries or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) are

good choices. It is also a good idea to place a large Capacitor across

the Battery Terminals (4700 micrFarad to 10,000 microFarad) in order

to enhance its ability to provide High Current Impulses to the Bridgewire.

Most issues with batteries involve using the same batteries as were left over from last year and were not new then, or using the same system as had rotted battery contacts that didn't work last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. We just had a VERY LONG Chinese New Year holiday because of the epidemic COVID-19. I also say "sorry" to the people all around the world for the epidemic, for the Government of China made a serious mistake and the virus is spreading all over the world. I hope everyone is healthy.

I will reply to your questions one bye one as below.

Stephen Ye.

Would it give you the amperage of the batteries or just give you a "green light" that the batteries are good to use? I always use an ATV battery with my Omega Firing system and have all my equipment ran to them. It is only 4 pieces and I never had any issues. I am hoping to get a couple more 32 units with the awesome sale you have going on to the end of the year.

It has a LED indicator which will blink when the power is estimated too low to firing igniters, the result is just for reference. If users use very sensitive igniters, it will probably still fire successfully.

The software of the OmegaFire Basal is upgraded, the new version is mostly different, it is easily and simple to use. You can go to RFRemotech Website (Link: https://www.rfremotech.com/MB322BSeries.html), we will upload the latest version soon.

Regards,

Stephen Ye

"Stephen', what's your Mandarin name?

I've bought from you over the years, very recently included, with good experiences. But when you present yourself on a public forum, you need to remember that the world is a small place. Marketing/expansion is obviously your primary motive. Ok. With caveats:

"Ability to tell if batteries are available to fire ignitors"...Hmmm. Primary concern would be uniformity in measuring test/firing current through any igniter, as always. Test my battery? And consistently bad/misperforming battery testers? New phenomenon to me. I have a fantastic battery tester/analyzer. Where did you learn that "voltages will probably indicate high"????

I call bullshit. Unless you can justify that last statement, which I think might be difficult...

And this criticism is coming directly from a repeat customer of yours.

Perhaps put your stuff in the Vendors/Suppliers page, please, instead of here.

I'm on your side, my friend, until you begin speaking untruths or semi-truths.

SW

My mandarin name is YE ZUYUAN.

The new module will justify the statement that if the current which will flow through the igniter is adequate to fire.

I am a Christian and always do my best not to speak untruths.

Regards,

Stephen Ye

A voltmeter can show high voltage for a mostly-dead battery. A proper battery tester will draw some current, and show the actual condition of the battery. Having a built-in battery tester calibrated to the current draw of the firing system might be useful as an extra safeguard.

Yes, the new module will just do like so.

Regards,

Stephen Ye

Hello. I have used common disposable igniters to ignite fireworks, but I would like to use a permanent igniter instead. I’ve tried to make my own by using a thicker nichrome wire, it work, but the 9V battery I’m using have a hard time glowing the nichrome wire and it kills the battery fast. What kind of battery is ideal for my application?

It means the battery almost short out for approx 500ms when you use a permanent igniter to fire, the life of the firing module will reduce. It is very hard for any type of battery for the situation.

Regards,

Stephen Ye

A voltmeter can show high voltage for a mostly-dead battery.

That is especially true for the Lead-Acid battery that is aged

and to some extent hard-sulfated. Once the battery gets to

this condition desulfation procedures can be applied to restore

the battery to its normal state where it will charge and discharge

at specification once again. Provided of course that the battery

plates haven't been damaged by abuse or neglect.

Lead-Acid Batteries should always be load tested before any

critical application. Never rely upon the terminal voltage of the

Lead-Acid Battery alone as an indicator of its state of charge

or its health.

That is especially true for the Lead-Acid battery that is aged

and to some extent hard-sulfated. Once the battery gets to

this condition desulfation procedures can be applied to restore

the battery to its normal state where it will charge and discharge

at specification once again. Provided of course that the battery

plates haven't been damaged by abuse or neglect.

Lead-Acid Batteries should always be load tested before any

critical application. Never rely upon the terminal voltage of the

Lead-Acid Battery alone as an indicator of its state of charge

or its health.

Yes, you are right, I have the same experience with the Lead-Acid Batteries.

Regards,

Stephen Ye

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I make my own igniters/ignition system which is simple but effective using xt60 connectors & a 2S 7.2v or 3S lipo 11.1v battery, speaker cable & quick release terminals. Every single one works, not one igniter has failed me to this day.

It annoys me that tool power packs all have different connectors. It would be nice if the firing systems had this type of connector. Then you could simply use your known good freshly charged tool power packs. This may be one of those circumstances where a 3D printer may be able to help.

It annoys me that tool power packs all have different connectors.

Not only that, but ever take a “modern” one apart? I had what I figured was a bad cell in one of Rigid packs, and figured I’d just replace it. I opened that thing up and it looked like a goddamn computer motherboard in there. I don’t know that the packs would work for this type of “direct short” application. Hell..I wonder if there’s some circuitry in the tool that “verifies” it’s a matching battery being used... would not surprise me.

Not only that, but ever take a “modern” one apart? I had what I figured was a bad cell in one of Rigid packs, and figured I’d just replace it. I opened that thing up and it looked like a goddamn computer motherboard in there. I don’t know that the packs would work for this type of “direct short” application. Hell..I wonder if there’s some circuitry in the tool that “verifies” it’s a matching battery being used... would not surprise me.

You sure that's not just circuitry to protect from overcharge/overheat? I know when I swapped out cheap HF batteries (they got wise and doubled price!) into my Black n Decker battery packs, the HF did not have any protective circuitry whatsoever--just linked cells. Replaced easily, though one of the 3 terminals on the B&D receiver pack output just remained unused. Just need to be careful not to forget about them when they're charging, and they work fine.

Exact same cells as in laptop batteries that usually have several good cells when one or two begin failing, and can similarly be wired into tool battery packs after individual cell testing.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

You sure that's not just circuitry to protect from overcharge/overheat?

Christ..surface mount 24 pinners, multi layer board. Hadda be more than just that. I had a pict of it... it’s scary and I been in electronics 35 years.

post-6205-0-89361200-1612900943_thumb.jpg

here it is... bats soldered below with thru board tabs.