APC Forum

Winokur 39J questions

MinamotoKobayashi

I just ended to roll a 2KG batch of Winokur 39J glitter stars for my 6" shells, but I have three important questions:

1. What kind of prime is needed? The classical slow BP meal plus 5% Silicium or Monocapa will work better?

2. It is essential to add 2% of Barium Carbonate to the prime or can I exclude it?

3. It is important to ballmill all the chems together (without metals and antimony trisulfide)?

In my modest opinion to ballmill the chems together could avoid the long lasting falling effect. I cannot see other benefits.

But since it is a burning composition, I do not like to ballmill all the chems together due to a improbable, but still possible, ignition.

Anyone can tell me if I can ballmill all the chems together soaked in the alcohol as I do successfully with hot BP and KP?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi

I prime them with screen mixed BP.

The barium carbonate is absolutely necessary because it is used as the glitter delay agent. You will have a non flashing streamer without it.

This comp is very slow burning so if you attempt to only screen mix it you may encounter ignition issues and extremely extended burn times. It is important to keep the stars quite small. 10mm would be a good size for a 6" shell if it was made by milling.

Hi Jason, thanks as usually.

So I must add 2% of Barium Carbonate to the screen mixed BP?

But in which way it act like a glitter delay agent, if it is in the prime? I suppose that when the prime is ignited and totally burned, also the Barium Carbonate is burned and do not act as delay anymore ...

Sorry, you don't need the carbonate in the prime. I misread that question.

For glitter stars, usually a slow burning BP (screen mixed) prime is enough, but a little bit of silicone can't hurt :)

• Like 1

There is no need to mill the prime; the meal-based ones are fine enough. As Zmuro said, BP is enough for any glitter and Si can't hurt.

The Ba carbonate in the first layer slows down the prime and helps the "transaction" to the glitter but I don't think it's necessary.

Generally speaking, using alcohol for your peace of mind can't hurt it in any way; besides some soluble resins none of the pyro components react/get dissolved in alcohol so it's safe. This is how some would mill whistle, with plenty of alcohol. It can be water or whatever: it just needs to be evaporated afterwards.

Another option is to mill the components separately if worried.

• Like 1

I tried troy fish with barium carbonate and work well, i never used prime on the glitter stars, but i also never rolled it, at moment, i have not star roller, so i think a god bp meal + silicon and a bit more charcoal will work fine. Try angy pink glitter if you like, mgal glitter imo are cool. If you mill the component you will get a shirt tail with small spritzel using coarse material sprizel are bigger and tail longer due the change in delay time. Edited by kingkama