APC Forum

HDPE Straight Vs Coiled

CityPigeonPyro

I have looked and found no info on this. I use to be able to get straight HDPE locally, but that company is gone. The only thing I can find is HDPE on the large spool. Has anyone here used this type of HDPE pipe to make mortar tubes 1.91"? I don't want to buy it and be at a loss.

Depends somewhat on the coil diameter, but I'd be unhappy with coil stock unless you see it lie very straight before it's cut for you. There are places who will sell you plugged mortars, even plugged mortars in racks. GRP is good HDPE is better but proper card mortars work for several shots as long as you keep them dry.

It would be one of this large spool that are like 6'+ I would buy the whole spool and lay it out straight before I would cut it into pieces.

It is a huge pain in the ass to straighten out rolled HDPE. If you can lay it out in the sun under tension it might finally relax. Not worth it in my opinion.

Bulk reel would be 500 ft. With the heat here in Southern Louisiana it would probably take a day or 2 to straighten out. it is 10pm right now and it is 92 degrees outside.

LOL

YES. I prefer mortars over cakes. I use cakes to fill in effect with my shows. Also when you are making mines and comets, those effects take up a lot of tubes.

I've heard (but not tried myself) that people will take coiled HDPE tubing, cut it to length, press it onto forms, heat it and then press out the forms. Afterwards the pieces of tube are straight.

Edited by davidh

I did that with some 1" HDPE tubes. It's best to let them cool on the mandrel before removing. Even still the plastic seems to want to bounce back, but it worked reasonably well.

Well a friend of mine works works for the gas company and said that he can get me scraps of it to try. He said sometimes they toss anything less than 50ft away. So if it is free I can try it all out and not have to worry about wasting money. He said that they even get straight HDPE and he will start saving me the cuts. Once again free is better then dishing it out. I told him that I will at least take him out to lunch each time I pick up from him.

• 2 months later...

Update - I got a bunch of coiled 2" HDPE and was able to get it straight and make some great tubes for just under $0.50 a tube. Ordered 150 plugs from Pyroboom for $70.39 and had all the other supplies needed. Did buy a 2-3/8" Pipe cutter from HD for $24.98. It is a must! Cuts the tubes straight and clean with no burrs or jagged edges. Had the nails already and the finishing gun to shoot then in with.

How I straightened the coiled pipe. I had 4 pieces of 1.5" angle iron laying around and have unlimited amounts of screw hose straps from work. So I connected together enough hose straps to fit around the pipe and the angle iron. Made 3 straps for each piece to be straighten. I placed all 3 on the pipe and iron I was able to put a hose strap about 6" on the end then tightened it to hold it in place. Slide the rest of the straps down forcing the pipe to bend into the grove of the iron. Tightened another strap about the middle of the pipe. Then worked and slid the last strap until I was about 6" from the other end. After that I laid them out where they would get a lot of sun. I was not in a rush so I let each set stay out for a few weeks.

Was able to get straight pipe and nice tubes after all said and done. If you have time on your side and willing to do a little work you can do it.