APC Forum

Exploding targets

Tim1877

I'm looking to make some exploding targets I'm looking to make targets that will explode with a .22 will standard flash work or do I need something more sensitive any help is greatly appreciated

This topic was actually how I found this forum try this link ,also the search feature will bring up a few more threads on this subject. There is a lot of great info in here. Please be careful with some of these suggestions, flash can be used in a few ways but it is very dangerous.

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/5110-exploding-targets/

Edited by Piccaso

A 22 probably requires something a bit more sensitive than standard 70/30. There are some sulfur containing mixes that might work. Adding titanium, which is abrasive, can help to initiate it more readily and makes a little more instersting effect when it goes.

IMO something with smoke and sensitivity is what you are looking for. A .22 round has very little energy at any distance. Does your sporting goods store stock any such targets? it's usually easier to buy a packet than make a few and experiment and make some more.

• Like 1

I have had excellent results with .22 long rifle rounds and a mix of 1.5 antimony trisufide, 1.5 dark Al and 7 perc.

:excl: Warning- you can drop it, but don’t stomp on it. Don’t drop it either :P :excl:

The “sporting goods store” stuff (tannerite, typically) is only sensitive to high vel rounds.

Edited by Richtee
  • Like 1

Thanks, Richtee - Im on the lookout for a more sensitive mix, and I look forward to trying it out.

:excl: Warning- you can drop it, but don’t stomp on it. Don’t drop it either :P :excl:

Sounds like sound counsel. I'll try to keep that in mind...

• 5 months later...

Thanks, Richtee - Im on the lookout for a more sensitive mix, and I look forward to trying it out.

Sounds like sound counsel. I'll try to keep that in mind...

How’d this work out for you? I’m heading out today with a new scope for my .22 and sight it in. Loudly. :D

• Like 1

Copper oxide thermite is said to work well for exploding targets sensitive enough to work with rimfire .22 cal. Search youtube for "copper oxide exploding target".

Shimizu Thunder #3 will pop with a .22 round from a rifle. Make some small ground bombs in the morning, shoot a few and light a few that afternoon. Fun for everyone! :-)

Edited by davidh
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

A 22 probably requires something a bit more sensitive than standard 70/30. There are some sulfur containing mixes that might work. Adding titanium, which is abrasive, can help to initiate it more readily and makes a little more interesting effect when it goes.

Interesting that original Tannerite was able to be set off with a .22. I have seen suggestions for milling the chemicals down to a finer mesh i.e. taking the prills to powder (ball milling) if needed. Adding potassium Chlorate, sulfur etc. The titanium sounds intriguing and I will have to look into that but saw a guy taking fish tank gravel and crushing it to get the same abrasive effect on YouTube. I wonder which would be more effective? I think the gravel might be more economical. I am going to look into the link above.

How much titanium would you suggest adding or at what ratio?

Shimizu Thunder #3 will pop with a .22 round from a rifle. Make some small ground bombs in the morning, shoot a few and light a few that afternoon. Fun for everyone! :-)

Probably not for newbs right? I keep hearing that flash powders are dangerous etc. Love the idea!

I have had excellent results with .22 long rifle rounds and a mix of 1.5 antimony trisufide, 1.5 dark Al and 7 perc.

The “sporting goods store” stuff (tannerite, typically) is only sensitive to high vel rounds.

So being a new can you tell me what exactly you are looking at for percentages here? Is the 1.5 Antimony/dark grams? 15G perchlorate? and then you just size up or down accordingly?

I am a newb to the correct terms etc. having been mostly a hillbilly pyro from my youth. ( but still have all my fingers...barely)

So being a new can you tell me what exactly you are looking at for percentages here? Is the 1.5 Antimony/dark grams? 15G perchlorate? and then you just size up or down accordingly?

I am a newb to the correct terms etc. having been mostly a hillbilly pyro from my youth. ( but still have all my fingers...barely)

1.5 gr Antimony.

1.5 gr Dark aluminum.

7 gr potassium perchlorate =10 gram total

Interesting, yet not surprising, all commercial “recipes” for BBQ rubs/seasonings, etc. are also made into “percentages” allowing simple scaling from 1 to 10,000 or 100,000 “units” whatever they be.

My pyro knowledge helped me while developing my rubs and brines for Mad Hunky Meats company. Of course, I had to clean my triple beam alot going back and forth... :D

Edited by Richtee

• 3 months later...

What do you put this in for targets how much confinement does it need

So just cardboard tubes will work for targets

If of a decent size-1” or so. And apparently within 75 yards or so with a .22. Heed the solid backing, etc. comments. You need to transfer maximum energy to the target. Using a “hot” round such as the CCI “Stinger” might help.

Altho, a tube would present a bit more of a challenge. You’ll need to hit it pretty close to dead nuts center.

• Like 1

Yes. They also need to be big enough so that you can hit them. :-)

Sulfur based flash is pretty sensitive. I do use a piece of plywood behind the tube, and it works for me. If someone tries this exact formula and it doesn't work, I would like to know.

• Like 1

Yeah... there IS that :D

I so love shooting targets. When they go boom, it’s very fun. But a quarter size hole in paper ain’t bad either.

Sulfur based flash is pretty sensitive. I do use a piece of plywood behind the tube, and it works for me. If someone tries this exact formula and it doesn't work, I would like to know.

What do you guys use as targets about how many grams do you put in each target

What do you guys use as targets about how many grams do you put in each target

Well, like was mentioned... it needs to have a “critical mass” kinda thing. I bet a gram would go put in a .25 inch tube AND hit on end :D. typically it’ll be 5-10 grams to get enough energy absorption from the shot. Nothinf scientific here, just what I have noticed.

If I lived where I could spend a few days experimenting, I would ...

I've shot a couple hundred 5/8"id x 1 1/2" L. They hold around 3.25 to 3.75 standard depending on your AL. I just toss them out on the ground and plink away. 22 pistol or rifle works for me. 17Cal works real well.

I've never tried the .25 with a gram. I'll have to do that. Would be a much more satisfying challenge.

I know when we were kids we shot firecrackers with air rifles all day long. Loved it. Endless fun.

Could any of you guys post some pics of your exploding targets whatever has worked for you in the past just trying to get as many ideas as posssible remember these need to explode with a .22 rimfire round

I don't have any pics... It's a typical tube firework, without a fuse. Pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

I don't have any pics... It's a typical tube firework, without a fuse. Pretty straight forward.

Are you using vitamin F with sulfur?