• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim1877

Tim1877

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors,splitting the night sky,the smell of burnt gunpowder

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

I'm looking to make some exploding targets I'm looking to make targets that will explode with a .22 will standard flash work or do I need something more sensitive any help is greatly appreciated
Tim

#2 Piccaso

Piccaso

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

This topic was actually how I found this forum try this link ,also the search feature will bring up a few more threads on this subject. There is a lot of great info in here. Please be careful with some of these suggestions, flash can be used in a few ways but it is very dangerous.

https://www.amateurp...loding-targets/

Edited by Piccaso, 02 September 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#3 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:49 AM

A 22 probably requires something a bit more sensitive than standard 70/30. There are some sulfur containing mixes that might work. Adding titanium, which is abrasive, can help to initiate it more readily and makes a little more instersting effect when it goes.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#4 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

IMO something with smoke and sensitivity is what you are looking for. A .22 round has very little energy at any distance. Does your sporting goods store stock any such targets? it's usually easier to buy a packet than make a few and experiment and make some more. 

#5 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:15 AM

I have had excellent results with .22 long rifle rounds and a mix of 1.5 antimony trisufide, 1.5 dark Al and 7 perc.

:excl:  Warning- you can drop it, but don’t stomp on it. Don’t drop it either :P    :excl:

The “sporting goods store” stuff (tannerite, typically) is only sensitive to high vel rounds.

Edited by Richtee, 07 September 2019 - 06:16 AM.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#6 FlareLauncher

FlareLauncher

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:RETIREMENT! I hope I live long enough to get it..... Have I got 24 more months of work in me? Lord, I hope so...

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, Richtee - Im on the lookout for a more sensitive mix, and I look forward to trying it out.

:excl:  Warning- you can drop it, but don’t stomp on it. Don’t drop it either  :P     :excl:

Sounds like sound counsel. I'll try to keep that in mind...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users