5 replies to this topic

#1 DavidTF

DavidTF

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hello to the APC forum!
So I've been messing around with pyrotechnics over the summer, mainly small 2" and 3" shells, and very quickly figured out I don't like taping shells by hand. Even the 3" shells take too long for me and I hate to imagine taping larger shells by hand. To feed my impatience I spent a while building a (janky) shell taping machine. It can theoretically do between 3" to 8" shells, however I only have 3" shells working right now. It definitely needs some work and I'm probably gonna end up rebuilding it, but I'd like your guy's thoughts and opinions on it and how to make it better and if there's anything glaringly obvious wrong with it. The other big question I have is how to go about doing calculations for taping layers on the bigger shells. I got away with guesstimating on the 3" shells by wasting a lot of tape but that's not gonna fly for 4" shells and up. This machine can do angle and speed changes for all motors, just like the commercial Chinese machines. Anyway, here's some videos of the machine and a 3" shell that was made using it:

• NeighborJ likes this

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Like It!

Stanley tools did make "diameter tapes" once -do they still? These had a diameter indication on the back of the usual steel tape which was intended for timber fellers to determine the diameter of round(ish) tree trunks prior to felling.

#3 dlking59

dlking59

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

I think it's neat. Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to do.

#4 DavidTF

DavidTF

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

Thanks guys! Arthur, I'm assuming those diameter tapes could be used to measure how many layers are on a particular part of a shell, though I'm not sure how I could use that to find out what parameters I need in advance to evenly tape a larger shell. I'm probably going to try writing a program that will simulate a shell being taped in this manner so I can mess with taping speeds/angles etc without going through a ton of gummed tape. I'll see how it goes.

#5 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:26 AM

If you find a diameter tape you can measure the circumference of a shell and read off the diameter. Then you can decide what diameter you want and how many turns of the machine are needed to achieve that.

#6 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:54 AM

Nice machine, do you control it with computer? I think that is better if you start pasting on equator part and finish around the poles, at least that's how Chinese do it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users