APC Forum

Stars

Foxfire87

Can any star be a cut star? I dont have tools to make stars by any other method. Some easy beginner stars? I already know of tiger tails and chrysanthemum, but I like to write down the formulas so theyre there when I'm ready to play around with something new. Also, if I purchase a star plate, can it only be used with a press? Or if I buy a plate can it be used with a vise or by ramming with a mallet? Just seems like it will take me a while to purchase the plate, then I need a press. So if there's a way to make them without a press for a while?

Many stars can be cut, But glitters tend to fail if they ever get too wet so you can't cut them as cutting tends to be a wet process.

Look at star rollers and star pumps. The star pump is probably the cheapest star maker BUT it only makes one size.

Thanks for the information, I had some trouble finding a smaller pump as most seemed to be 5/8 and larger, just found every size possible from woody's, ordered a 3/8 pump. So now I'll study up on using it until it arrives, any good articles I could start with?

Star rollers are good for stars by the thousand, and good for colour changing stars. but it's a technique you have to learn with several pounds of comp. Plates are good for stars of one size when you have a press, but you make several at a time. Pumps are usually for larger sizes because you only make one at a time.

Thanks, that well explains the different methods as far as production. I purchased a 3/8 pump, I know I'll get frustrated eventually when I cant crank them out fast enough, but it will work for now, especially the price was very affordable compared to the roller and plates I priced. But I guess this is also a good way for a newbie to start. Thanks again for the info

The book "Fireworks, Principles and Practice" by Ronald Lancaster, available through Abe Books, lists lots of star comps and suggests whether they should be cut, pumped etc.

Make pellets, using a siringe, cut off the head of it and use it like a comet pump not the best but works, IMO all stars can be cut stars.