APC Forum

Adding Sulfur to Sugar, Focus on Erythritol

JMan

Hi. I dont have any sulfur but Ive been making my own charcoal and plan on trying to make some BP rockets. I tried making black powder without the sulfur. It acted quite a lot like erythritol and KNO3 (trouble sustaining itself but in large enough amounts itll work). So if black powder needs sulfur to assist the combustion, do you guys think sulfur would be a boost/catalyst for erythritol? Or is erythritols lack of combustion caused by other complications than low temperature?

Also as a side note to the veterans here. Is this site dying? Or did I just come around a point when it was thriving? If its dying, what other sites do you guys use for amateur rocket motor makers?

[Also as a side note to the veterans here. Is this site dying? Or did I just come around a point when it was thriving? If its dying, what other sites do you guys use for amateur rocket motor makers? ]

I think that the discord is more active than the forum...

Sulphur makes BP easier to light, maybe look at the reaction mechanism and dynamics for the fuel you chose then see whether a or any burn rate modifier is needed. transition metal oxides can be useful reaction rate modifiers -red iron oxide and Vanadium pentoxide are just two examples many others may well exist -even be in the literature. Look also at the MSDS for the catalyst V2O5 has just about every possible risk and safety phrase down to genetic mutations. Iron Oxide is just rust -easy to find and low risk and hazard.

Several amateur rocketry fuels do not burn well in the open but perform excellently when in a suitably nozzled motor casing.

As a side note (opinion!) to the side question.

Fora in general are going slack in rate of use and number of users, no longer are people prepared to look back for answers they want them presented immediately on their request. Also people are now unable to remember books as an information source -getting the information from an unknown person on the internet is now the preferred method!

HOWEVER, even posts by retired members here are still available for reading and may well contain gems of information from real pyros.

The largest majority of members on this site are from the US. Things tend to get quieter after the 4th, especially leading up to PGI. We have some things in the works to try to improve some aspects and better serve the community.

That makes a lot of sense mumbles. Guess I just didnt realize it last year. Ive just been surprised that this seems to be the only place that houses a self made rocket motor forum. Guess it is a pretty advanced and specific thing to get into.

Some people get pulled into rehabbing their house then move off to the country and cant play online! :D

JMan, Fireworking.com has quite a bit more info BUT it's not as novice friendly and frankly, there is no appetite for hobby rocketry over there like there is over here. As far as BP without sulfur, it's available world wide, man! Dig a little and find where you can get it, "sulfur (S), which, while also serving as a fuel, lowers the temperature required to ignite the mixture, thereby increasing the rate of combustion." https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15366/why-is-there-sulfur-in-black-powder-gun-powder