APC Forum

Newbie looking for storage tips

PyroWolf

I'm looking into cheap safe storage for chemicals. I have a metal cabinet in my shop that I can lock down. I was going to line it with wood or a thick coat of bed liner. Would this suffice for the time being. I will not be storing devices, only base chemicals.

I store everything in stacked 5 gallon buckets. A few select buckets get desiccant here in Florida (magnesium and iron/steel). A few of the more prolific builders I know use 18 gallon totes, or simply leave them in the bags or drums they came in.

Bottom line is that it really isn't that important. There are some weird chemicals rarely/never used in normal pyro that need special storage, but you can mostly avoid them. For instance, don't keep NC (rarely used), make NC lacquer (often used).

Regardless of what you store them in, keep cross contamination to a minimum.

Fuels in one tote, oxidisers in another, other chems in another, all kept as supplied and properly labelled.

You don't need to go too extreme for just chemicals. I like 5 gallon buckets or totes or drums on a shelf. I tended to keep oxidizers on one shelf, and fuels on another on opposite sides of the shop. A cabinet might be better served for flammable things like fuse or any commercial BP or something like that. It might also be a spot to store any higher ticket items like tooling if there are concerns about anyone getting in there.

For stars or any compositions that need to be stored temporarily, the wood lined or bed liner stuff more comes into play.

• 1 year later...

first rule is no confined spaces (look at professional fireworks factories, they have fiberglass roof or similar light structure)

second is 'containment' not confinement, the walls make the fireball go up, doors don't face other bunkers/buildings

keep the workspace clean

keep them separated, and grouped by compatablility

only have what you're working with out, only what you need etc.

separate hazards a much as you can like mill away from other chemicals