APC Forum

4th of july 2019 homemade fireworks

yvanblo

Hello everyone, I thought it would be fun to start a post that showcased everyone's homemade fireworks from this year. Here are a few of mine:

8 in a row Chalk salutes (sorry about the finger in the shot. Oops):

26 inch Saxon:

44 shot mini mine (fires very rapidly):

10 shot mine:

3 fountain cake:

Failed 26 inch saxon... I didn't double check the orientation of each driver as closely as I should have. Oops, still pretty though, and different than most:

Last but not least, my new and improved 'super zinger':

Edited by yvanblo
  • Like 2

Very nice colour smoke salutes,can you give more composition data etc? thanks
  • Like 1

Very nice colour smoke salutes,can you give more composition data etc? thanks

Blackmach: I'm glad you like them! It's quite a simple device. Make a paper tube 1 to 2 inch diameter, 2 or 3 wraps, glue the seem, fold and tape the bottom so you have a cup. Add powdered chalk, I used carpenters chalk line chalk, filling about half the cup. I tapped lightly to compact the chalk a bit, but I didn't tamp it or ram it. Take 1 small flash cracker (70:30 less than 1 gram), and place it on top of chalk, then add more chalk on top, then tape it closed with the fuse sticking out the top. Hang it from a line, light the fuse and stand back. I got my inspiration from a video I saw on Ned Gorski's youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srghPkVrFms ), and from various daytime fireworks I've seen.

chalk salute

Edited by yvanblo

Slick :{)

• Like 1

here's my stuff from the 4th

Thanks for sharing. Those were fun!

Edited by yvanblo

Heres a 2 ounce Cored BP rocket with a 1.5" D1 glitter shell. It wasn't quite dark enough yet.

2 ounce Cored BP rocket with 1.5" mystery glitter composition

This is a 2 ounce cored BP rocket with a 2" shell with pink stars

Heres a small aerial flash powder salute. I made 4 but only was able to film 1. This burst a bit too low.

post-10933-0-24804500-1563163570_thumb.jpg

A few of the rockets in the above videos

post-10933-0-18165700-1563163678_thumb.jpg

Four of the flash powder salutes with their 1 gram lift bags (granulated BP)

• Like 1

This was a screen shot from a 3 inch plastic hemispheres using parlor based comps and coated cotton seeds.

post-20978-0-75891900-1563792232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm more of a year round pyrotechnician. I had a nice research experiment this morning.

It was quite successful, so much so that many neighbors came out (at 6:00am while it was still dark) to see what the explosion was.

I expected a very weak burst but it was very LOUD!

No pics, I lost my phone.