APC Forum

2oz (3/8"ID) Coreburner First Attempt

pyroguy1030

Here's my first attempt at a 2oz coreburner black powder rocket. The ID for my tube was 3/8" and the length of the motor was 4. I used some homemade aluminum/ brass tooling to press this rocket. I plan to attach shells/effects to these rockets and maybe I'll be able to get my hands on some bigger tooling soon. Thanks for watching

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I'm new to this forum and rocketry too and that first successful launch can be quite satisfying. Well done! I've been using .5 inch tooling for my .5 ID motors. I stopped though after a CATO that was really freaking loud and got spooked. Didn't want to tick of neighbors. I need to get back into it.

The second part of the art of rockets is to go towards a CATO then back off a bit! If the fuel is too tame then it will not even lift off.

The first part of the art is to do tests where and when no-one notices - go to somewhere more wild and open, and at a time of natural fire resistance where there is a little lush green vegetation.

Annoying the neighbours is a good way to attract adverse interest from law enforcement to you and your hobby.

Yeah, hence the stopping part :( . Never had a problem with black powder as a fuel I always got lift-off with the exception on that 1 CATO. I suspect there was a crack in the grain. I'm going to try waxing the tubes to try and prevent them from blowing up. There are large parks and fields near me but its federal park land so that's a no go. Thought about asking a local owner of nearby a horse pasture if I could launch some there. It sucks because I live in a state where fireworks were legalized about 5-6 years ago so I haven't been able to find any Pyro or firework clubs/guilds where you can get together and create/test rockets and the like. I was under the impression that you can get some sort of permit if you belong to one of those.

The federal permit does not require being part of a club.

Also, be aware that the rules for 'legalized fireworks' usually mean consumer fireworks (1.4G) and often do not apply to home made and display fireworks (1.3G). Even if what you make is within the specs of 1.4, they are treated as 1.3.