Strobe star nitrate based

Merlin

Strontium nitrate 54

Sulfur 18

MgAl 60 mesh 12

Parlon 10

Antimony trisulfide Chinese needle 6

Make into putty with acetone and cut. Prime, etc

It would seem these would dry quickly. They were made this morning. They take fire in a star gun but burn long like water is present. Is it possible that as the acetone evaporated moisture was drawn in?

They where just talking about this on Fireworking. Think they said something about making sure your Strontium nitrate was dry. Because it's hygroscopic. Hope that helped and if it was your post over there then you already knew that.lol any ways good luck.

• 10 months later...
White Nitrate Strobe (Notes)

I experimented with different modification of nitrate based white strobes. At the begining I prepared four compositions (strobe rods): Blaser White Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 50%, KNO3 5%, S 20%, AlMg 20%, dextrin 5%), Common Chinese Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, S 10%, AlMg 20%, dextrin 5%), Chinese Modified Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, AlMg 30%, dextrin 5%), Simple Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, S 5%, AlMg 30%, dextrin 5%). AlMg was a powder with size less than 0.10 mm. First two worked well, second two were not good, thus 5% of catalysts were added to last ones. Catalysts are binary or ternary oxides of transition metals. I prefer to use copper chromite, copper oxide, manganese and chromium oxides. See video 1. It was found that velocity of burning (strobing) rod of third composition increased in the sand (ground). Two rods were wroped with piece of paper by one and three times. Burning velocity was increased. See video 2. New AlMg powder with size of 0.05 – 0.15 mm was tested. Three compositions were further prepared: Simple Strobe 1 (Ba(NO3)2 60%, AlMg 25%, S 10%, Dextrin 5%), Simple Strobe 2 (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, AlMg 22%, S 9%, Dextrin 4%) and Simple Strobe 3 (Ba(NO3)2 56%, KNO3 6%, AlMg 28%, Catalyst 6%, Dextrin 4%). See video 3. Strobes without sulfur or catalysts do not work properly.

• Like 1

Merlin, I'd be curious to see a video of them once they're fully dried and primed. Both stationary and moving through the air if possible. How is the color?

Some friends of mine tried a similar compo once with quite a good outcome. It was without the Sb2S3 though

I experimented with different modification of nitrate based white strobes. At the begining I prepared four compositions (strobe rods): Blaser White Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 50%, KNO3 5%, S 20%, AlMg 20%, dextrin 5%), Common Chinese Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, S 10%, AlMg 20%, dextrin 5%), Chinese Modified Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, AlMg 30%, dextrin 5%), Simple Strobe (Ba(NO3)2 60%, S 5%, AlMg 30%, dextrin 5%). AlMg was a powder with size less than 0.10 mm. First two worked well, second two were not good, thus 5% of catalysts were added to last ones. Catalysts are binary or ternary oxides of transition metals. I prefer to use copper chromite, copper oxide, manganese and chromium oxides. See video 1. It was found that velocity of burning (strobing) rod of third composition increased in the sand (ground). Two rods were wroped with piece of paper by one and three times. Burning velocity was increased. See video 2. New AlMg powder with size of 0.05 – 0.15 mm was tested. Three compositions were further prepared: Simple Strobe 1 (Ba(NO3)2 60%, AlMg 25%, S 10%, Dextrin 5%), Simple Strobe 2 (Ba(NO3)2 60%, KNO3 5%, AlMg 22%, S 9%, Dextrin 4%) and Simple Strobe 3 (Ba(NO3)2 56%, KNO3 6%, AlMg 28%, Catalyst 6%, Dextrin 4%). See video 3. Strobes without sulfur or catalysts do not work properly.

Niiice, Yus. And detailed explanations and results. Very informative and very helpful. Unlike some of our other members Kleb ahem who like to show pretty videos but will only provide details if you send Kleb them $$$money$$$ !!!

Thank you and keep up the good work!

@Yus,

Thank you very much for your very informative input on this strobe subject. Infact all your publications regarding formulae and processes are highly appreciated. What kind of prime did you use or would you have used for the stobe stars?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kaotch!

For small stars (up to 5 mm dia): KNO3 - 50%, KClO4 - 20%, С - 10%, S - 7%, AlMg - 13%. Plus NC for toro or phenol resin 8% (over 100%) for rolling.

For big stars use 1 mm layer of simple white (based on KClO4/Ba(NO3)2/AlMg) and common prime.

For those without immediate access to mesh-to-mm conversion tables, these are the (approximate) mesh sizes of MgAl that Yus has been describing (and Merlin in the original post)

0.053 mm (0.05 mm) = 270 mesh

0.105 mm (0.10 mm) = 140 mesh

0.149 mm (0.15 mm) = 100 mesh

0.250 mm (0.25 mm) = 60 mesh

For comparison with other common smaller MgAl mesh sizes commonly in our pyro labs:

0.074 mm (0.07 mm) = 200 mesh

0.063 mm (0.06 mm) = 230 mesh

0.044 mm (0.04 mm) = 325 mesh

OK, learned how to add attachments. Below is a handy mesh-to-micron chart for your notebooks. If you don't keep one handy, perhaps you should.

Mesh to micron chart.pdf

Edited by SharkWhisperer

The best 0.04 - 0.08 mm or 200 - 325 mesh.

But it works with mixture of magnalium between 0 .... 0.125 mm or less than 120 mesh.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I tried yus's modified white strobe composition 3 formula , and I was amazed after seeing the effect , brightness was brilliant.

I am very happy with this.

Thanks yus 😄😄 , and also thanks to the forum.

One question I have i.e ; how can I increase the flashing sound????

I made the composition in to cylindrical shape with 4cm long and 1cm (approx) in diameter.

Here is the link for the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Is0Tvg4dAp6hQqCP__t7gNFJffOtaUVj/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1

The effect is quite nice! Looking like the old fashioned "flashbulbs"

going off.

What sort of flashing sound would you like to have?

I think it makes more flashing sound ,it may I am wrong...

Watch this

Link

Although I am going to put the composition in to a fountain pot , to see what happens... And it may leads to making more sound...

Thanks....😄😄😄

Yes, once it gets going it does make a nice little "pop" with each flash.

What is it that accounts for the difference in noise?

This is a type of fountain called "Generator tubri".

I don't know the composition of that..

I think it is almost similar to that which I made by using yus's formula....

Thank😄😄....

@kaotch,

Yes!! I use simple strobe 3 formula 56, 6,28,6,4 composition.

I use black CuO as catalyst...

Thanks ...

Hey P,

Nice job. Looks fun n easy, with a great effect.

Guessing a simple screen mix, bind dextrin with water, and roll out to desired dimensions, yes? Are you rolling in plastic wrap to make cylinders of naked compound, stuffing it into paper or cardboard tubes? Dimensions of final device? Typical drying times/conditions? Any prime needed to fire these up or just a piece of visco in the damp comp? What MgAl mesh size did you end up using? Any other special tips? Have you tried or are you planning to try any other binder systems?

Tx, SW

@SW

YES!! I did it by Simple screen mix , using dextrine as binder...

I use syringe (medical thing) for making it in to cylindrical shape, no plastic wrapper, no paper or cardboard tube...

No major changes of dimensions has-been occurred before and after of the final product...

Simple sun dry...I think a full day is enough....But I do it for 2days because here it is now rainy season...

Actually I do not prime them...Yes!! After drying it takes some time to catch fire , when I do it in larger batch then I will definitely prime them....

Sorry I can't say mesh size of MgAl, but it is very fine powder...

No special tips is needed, it's very easy to make...

Yes!!! I am planning in using of NC instead of Dextrine as binder ... It may leads to more expensive...

Thanks...😄😄

Yus, you deserve special thanks for sharing this here in the forum. You don't know how much support you have extended to those who have'nt access to KP/KC due to stringent government rules. Thanks again.

Would you mind help a little more with the following.

What could be the star size for a 3" shell with your composition and

What do you recommend as primes as it seems a little hard to start burning? (Remember KP/KC is not available)

Hello.

Usually I use Shimizu's strobe for my cores:

Barium nitrate (ballmilled): 51%

Potassium nitrate (ballmilled): 8%

Magnalium 230 mesh: 13%

Sulfur: 23%

Dextrin: 5%

I have two important questions for You:

1. It is possible to accelerate a lot the strobe effect? I have seen in most japanese fireworks that the flashing effect is really fast.

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pcuXD5ikM&feature=youtu.be&t=366

2. Since I use Jopete's compositions without water (only phenolic resin as binding agent wetted with 50% alcohol and 50% acetone), the water based strobing core is not

the best solution (I suffered detachments of the second layer because a water-based star is not the ideal surface to grab an alcohol-based mix).

So, it is possible to replace the dextrin with phenolic resin (or red gum) in the above formula?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi

1. mill the barium nitrate with the sulfur, you can also try using a smaller mgal size.

2. I'm afraid strobes don't work on those fuels you mention.

1) It is my understanding that the particle size of the metal fuel influences the strobe rate. You might try a finer size MgAl to increase strobe frequency. If the particles are too small, it may kill the strobe effect by promoting continuous burning.

2) I have made AP based and nitrate strobes bound with 2-3% PVB and solvent 90% isopropanol in water. Both types of composition strobe well. They MAY perform differently when made in this way, but I have never done side-by-side tests.