APC Forum

Strobe stars

Merlin

Has there been any successful efforts to get a strobe star bound with phenolic resin?

• 3 weeks later...

Merlin, I meant to get back to you on this, and I dropped the ball... sorry man! I experimented with phenolic bound strobe stars and never had luck. I wasted a lot of chems trying. I haven't rolled stars in a while, been too busy actually shooting displays. But when I get back in to the shop this fall, I plan on upgrading to AP strobes. I believe they are the ticket. I have tried a lot of different strobes with mixed results, but every time I shoot a commercial shell with strobes, it makes me want to try AP strobes more and more. If I remember right, Rogeryermaw has been doing a lot of work with strobes (specifically he was trying to make a blue strobe last year I think).

Thanks Brad. Tried the nitrate green didnt work to well. Wound up using Lloyds green strobe which worked well. I guess strobes are like glitters - unfriendly to phenolic. I pressed my first phenolic stars only this year. I used a bit tool much alc first time then reduced to4% and I am impressed. Now I wish phenolic could be used for everything. Thanks for the reply but I know how incredibly busy you are- didnt think a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Merlin, in my personal journey of building fireworks, from making my first batch of bp to making hundreds (probably thousands) of ball shells, I learned a lot of techniques that made my life easier, and made me a more efficient builder. But they all pale in comparison to the difference I saw when I started using phenolic. I know I am like a broken record, but phenolic is the BOMB! Unfortunately, I have not found a way to use it with charcoal stars, and a few other formulas. But for color stars, it's amazing. I can roll stars, prime them, and they are ready to use the same day. My colors got brighter and better with phenolic, and the stars are harder to break, and easier to light. That reminds me I need to order some. lol