APC Forum

Binary Impact Sensitive Explosives

ns4life

Shaga, from your movie i think your problem may be the fact that the film canister doesn't seem to be secured to anything, you may need to hold it down somehow, tape it to a rock or somethig. also, the film canister may not be strong enough to transmit enough energy to the mix to set it off, i'm out of copper oxide at the moment but i'll see if i can get some and try this out again.

Think it may be as simple as the fact that I'm not following TomTom's formula to the letter.

I mean, you wanna duplicate results, you have to duplicate the formula, right?

"Let's see, I'm out of Bright Flake so I think I'll substitute some jelly beans..."

Here's a link to the vid I sent to my non-pyro friends, edited so it looks like it worked:

http://www.efn.org/~mikemcoo/targetExplode.html

• 4 weeks later...
shagaKahn,

I'm planning a shoot (firearms and shells) the Friday after Thanksgiving...I'll make up some targets and post the results...can't figure out the issues you're having.

OK, just got back from the high lonesome--and still no luck getting a mix to explode on impact from a .22 Stinger round.

And this time I followed your formula to the letter with a fresh batch of -325 Bright Aluminum Flake from Skylighter.

44.5 CuO

10 Bright Flake Aluminum

Full film canister nailed dead on with a .22 Stinger round and no boom.

Could temperature be a factor?

(Way cold up there today; down in the 20's).

Agreed--only Tommy's gotten detonation out of a .22 Stinger. 

(Wouldn't have attempted this otherwise).

Nope, I'm not the only anomaly. crazyboy25 got some with a .22 and little bitty CuO/Al target......link......it's the very last youtube video in his post.

I'm suspecting your CuO or Al are different from what I'm plinking at. You could always shoot flash :ph34r:

FYI, a .22 Stinger isn't weak, at least when compared to other .22 rimfire cartridges.

Behold the wealth of the Internet:

The standard velocity .22 Long Rifle takes a wax coated 40 grain lead bullet to a muzzle velocity of 1,138 fps. The muzzle energy is 116 ft. lbs. in a standard 22" rifle test barrel.

The CCI Stinger and Remington Yellow Jacket are considered hyper velocity rounds. These achieve higher speeds than previous high velocity ammunition at permissible pressure by using light, copper plated, hollow point bullets of 32-33 grains. This allows a muzzle velocity of about 1,500 fps and a muzzle energy of about 165 ft. lbs.

A small bullet can only do so much :)

You could always knock up a batch of chlorate flash with a bit of antimony trisulfide. Should have a high success rate with that.

Yeah, but I'd rather stick to a binary I can enjoy without worrying that it's gonna detonate in the car on the way to the range.

So Tommy, seems like I remember you got your Cu0 from a ceramics supply? I got mine from skylighter--likewise my Aluminum Flake, Bright (coated with stearin).

This just keeps getting curiouser....

Something was definitely off yesterday, 'cause I had some of my original mixture, made with the finer mesh aluminum--and it wouldn't explode.

Y'all remember from the vids, that stuff exploded unconfined in a little pile with a piece of visco--but yesterday it only burned in a soft "poof."

Does it sound like that mixture might have absorbed moisture over time? As mentioned it was deep cold and damp yesterday.

And the CuO/Bright Flake mix, I'm wondering about that one: how did you mix it, Tommy?

Obvious question I know--but it's a very heavy oxide mixed with an incredibly light and fluffy aluminum. Maybe the heavier Cu tends to settle out of the mix?

I don't get it, but I'm determined to figure it out.

• Like 1

yeah we anchored it and used a thick board for backing we were also pretty close (18 or so feet) and we used hard plastic containers about 1/8" thick.

So now it sounds like film canisters will NOT work?

And it sounds like your gun was maybe a slide-action (pump)?

My .22's an autoloader (Browning breakaway) and I'm wondering if that Stinger round loses some of its muzzle velocity with the auto action.

(Grasping at straws here).

We used a fecal matter container which is the about same size as a film canister but a little thicker.

The .22 we used is a Winchester pump long rifle.

The one problem we had is if we didn't hit it dead on it wouldn't explode only break the casing.

Wonder if I could go to the medical supply store and just ask for caca jars.

And hey, I thought your gun sounded like a slider, in your video. It must look like one of those ole shooting gallery .22's.

Henry Firearms is making a pretty sweet replica .22 pump--but jeez it's like 500 bux.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h003tm_pumpoctagon.cfm

You say you were just shooting a .22 LR round--not even a high-velocity?

Can't figure out why my setup's not working.

Tommy if you're reading this, did you pack your film canister really tight?

No special preparations were used, just gently mixed in a pint container by rolling / swirling, poured it in the canister. and tape around the top to keep it together...use in well lit areas under controlled, sober conditions. Not for use internally. Rinse, lather, repeat. BTW, we shot them with my Ruger 10/22, a Walther P-22 pistol and G-22 rifle...all semi-auto. The pistol only had the shorter 4.5" barrel on so no blame to the velocity of the rounds.

I didn't video the last batch we shot but Hawk Mtn. -325 coated flake as well as their Reynolds 30-XD work just fine. I honestly can't see why you're having so much drama. If you can't get flake Al / CuO to go solo, spike it with increasing percentage of 70:30 until it does.

Remember kids, "Bigger is Better" (at least when impressing your friends with shit that goes BOOM when you shoot it :D ...before my trip to the southern hemisphere we plinked at 1250g of NH4NO3 / Al in a 2L bottle with ARs offhand from about 110yds until someone got a good hit. We left shortly thereafter - before the gendarmes came to see what all the fuss was about)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a post in my inbox saying there was a new response in this thread from airsoftlife--but when I clicked on the link and logged in here, I could find no new posts in this thread.

Weird...

Oh well, happy holidaze all,

s

Just got a post in my inbox saying there was a new response in this thread from airsoftlife--but when I clicked on the link and logged in here, I could find no new posts in this thread.

Weird...

Oh well, happy holidaze all,

s

well, mumbles felt it was too HE related, so he removed it

• 3 weeks later...
I honestly can't see why you're having so much drama. If you can't get flake Al / CuO to go solo, spike it with increasing percentage of 70:30 until it does.

Success!

Spiking it with a little 70/30 did the trick.

Actually managed to get it to work several weeks ago, but I didn't have my camera then, and rain/snow kept me off the mountain till today.

Here t'is--and no trick editing this time; you're getting the real thing:

http://www.efn.org/~mikemcoo/success.html

(Case I ain't said so, thanx Tommers, for the lowdown on this).

• 9 months later...

In addition to fun with my 1919A4 this past weekend, I managed to turn some home-brew binary targets into suspended clouds of particulates and sonic / thermal / kinetic energy... ;)

Even a mere 200g of a standard mix makes quite an impact when resting on a surface:

post-747-1223997457_thumb.jpg

post-747-1223997468_thumb.jpg

post-747-1223997482_thumb.jpg

post-747-1223997493_thumb.jpg

That's pretty hot, Thompson.

Love the banana-pealed metal.

There's been discussion on another list about high-speed photography of explosion models; would love to watch this event in super-slo-mo.

In addition to fun with my 1919A4 this past weekend, I managed to turn some home-brew binary targets into suspended clouds of particulates and sonic / thermal / kinetic energy... ;)

Even a mere 200g of a standard mix makes quite an impact when resting on a surface:

1919 always makes for a fun weekend.

Heres a few vids of the last time I was able to go out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_Ep7dnReA

• 4 weeks later...
You can make straight-up Mg/CuO thermite or a blend of Mg/Al/CuO to get the sensitivity you want...be careful; if you're talking about fine mesh Mg flake or powder, you're basically making powdered Dragon's Eggs. Proceed with great caution and small batches if you try. Also, moisture in the mix would be bad as well.

Hmm Can D E's be made with a similar comp? I really don't want to mess/buy lead or bismuth. I been poking around and found references to binding comps with NC, but have only seen the ones with Pb/Bi in them. I also have Antimony T in needle form, -325. Any insight would be appreciated!