APC Forum

Binary Impact Sensitive Explosives

ns4life

so I was experimenting a little more today with my aluminum powder and my potassium chlorate. I just used a small paper paint filter and sifted my flash powder through it. I took the fine powder out to the garage and started hitting it with a hammer and it was going off quite a bit easier. I think my problem is I'm having issues keeping my potassium chlorate in a very fine powder. even when my potassium chlorate is very dry it seems to still clump up in storage and its pretty hard to get every crystal ground down to a powder in my mortar and pestle. This is pretty im practical for exploding targets because i dont really want to stand around at the range trying to grind and sift flash powder spending all day. Usually with tannerite its like a quick mix and your ready to go. I'm trying to get some perchlorate produced but its not showing any signs of forming in my cell. My theory is since perchlorate is smaller crystals it will be able to make it into a finer flash powder much quicker and easier at the range. My cell has been running for almost 7 days with a computer power supply and I keep checking with methylene blue but Im not seeing anything yet. any opinions or anything would be welcome.

Edited by maliveline

Let me ask this.

Why is it that when you make an exploding target out of ammonium nitrate It doesn't matter if it is in prill form but yet it will still detonate.

But if you want to do this with potassium chlorate it has to be perfectly powdered flash powder mixed in the perfect ratio?

You are talking about 2 different things. The later is just a deflagration and the other is a rather touchy subject that I'm not allowed to talk openly about in this part of the forum (HE).

• 2 months later...

Hmm, isn't 4250 a bit optimistic? IIRC even a 40 grn v-max "only" get up to a little over 4100 fps in a 22-250. I guess the chrono doesn't lie, so if your going 4250 so be it. I'm pushing 50 grainers at just under 3800 fps and I thought THEY were fast! I try to cool them down a little bit from max velocity to keep throat erosion liveable.

Sorry for the tangent.

I think for the 22-250 depends on if he is loading his own, if he is, he could see a bit more velocity, also weather conditions and barrel length. That is one hot fucking round, 4250 is crazy fast.. iv heard rumors and read around that the .204 ruger will scorch a 32gr bullet out @4225fps

• 2 years later...

There is an online store https://www.usachemicalsupply.com/ that has fairly good prices on homemade "tannerite" kits for those who want all the ingredients provided and just take it to the range, mix it, and get a bang. Through the weekend they are 20% off. They have high velocity kits of ammonium nitrate with a bag of aluminum powder included - it's about $100 for 50lbs AN including the Al. They also sell .22 sensitive (low velocity) kits. They are more expensive, $100 for 20 lbs, including aluminum powder. The ammonium nitrate is mixed with something, maybe Antimony trisulphate, or K Perchlorate, and comes in 1 lb bags. I asked the company for the formula, but it's a "secret." They also provide static free bags for mixing. I used the low velocity mix, mixed at the range, duct taped the crap out of it, and shot it with a .22 LR >1040fps. It was pretty impressive. It was inside an old tire left in the desert. Afterwards, most of the tire had been recycled with just a few pieces of wire from the bead and pieces of rubber hanging on.

I also read an article from the owner of tannerite. They have gone to a straight binary mix of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum. He claims that real tannerite products have never started a fire, whereas we had a Border Patrol supervisor shooting homemade south of Tucson, and she started a huge fire. Now people in the area are seriously down on tannerite type products, and it's banned in some areas. Just for info... Roger

P.S. the low velocity duct taped mix I spoke of produced an impressive boom, plus a cloud of brownish-white smoke. Too cool! Roger

• 1 month later...

The rimfire mixture I purchased online takes 1lb of white powder mix (unknown) to 3 tablespoons of AL, in order to get a flash/bang result with a .22. The high velocity mix only takes 1 teaspoon of AL per pound of AN to get a flash/bang result, but it seems to have less sound and intensity, pound for pound. Does that mean the rimfire product's primary ingredient is KCLO4? Isn't that close to a straight flash mix? Or is it most likely a mix of AN and something else to sensitize it, but it still requires a lot more AL anyway? Also, can adding a bit of extra AL in with the high velocity AN target cause it to flash/bang poorly? I know there's a point where it won't work at all, but how sensitive is the AN mix to the AL proportion? Thanks.