APC Forum

Mini shells

Mike71

Can i make mini shells for a cake with m80 tubes.... i have never made small ones just 2 and 3"

The rising effects in a cake may well look like shells but are usually called inserts. Often they are a paper tube with clay or paper closures and some small active contents. -very effective. Look for insert tubes and cake tubes that fit together snugly.

Edited by Arthur

An insert is something like a small shell in a bigger shell, stutata iirc

• 2 weeks later...
Im thinking more on line of the shells in a 500 gram cake... are they like m80 tubes in them or tiny ball shells

Take a look at this:

http://pyrobin.com/files/Apex%20Pyro%20Compositions.pdf

Metal mesh sizes are not given. The amount and composition of the burst powder would turn the shells into salutes if the metals were fine.

Duplicating a consumer cake, perhaps on a larger scale, seems like an interesting project. I lit an "Ohio Bomber" from Shelton's on NYE and was much impressed.

The tiny shells in cakes are almost always tubes, yes. And they are called bombettes.

Thanks guys... and thaks for the download

What size stars would you start with for 5/8 tubes??? Im guessing screen comp through a 4 mesh????

You can find consumer shell dissection videos on youtube. Stars are round and seem to be rather small.

• 3 months later...

There is an eleven part video series on cake manufacturing. Search youtube for

1" insert shell for cake manufacture.

The handling of the flash burst looks scary!

• 2 months later...
Rellim, Thanks for the video series recommendation very cool to see how it's done by the big dogs.