APC Forum

Maybe a stupid idea to further reduce flash issues?

MinamotoKobayashi

My idea is to put the individually screened chems (German dark plus aluminum atomized) directly inside one of the two half shells.

For that purpose I will use a 2" paper shell.

When I have putted the two not-mixed chems until it is completely filled (or just a little bit to avoid dangerous leak), I will close the shell with the other half and wrap around the equator the usual wetted gummed tape.

Now I will start to paste the small shell as usually, but since the shell is half filled, the continuous rolling act like a washing machine, mixing perfectly the chems inside.

In that way I will avoid one of the most scary passage: the diapering.

Besides this, I will work with wetted tape, so the risk of sparks is reduced to almost zero.

This method can work fine and can effectiverly reduce the risks?

When I work with BP, KP or flash I wear only cotton and I work directly on the floor with naked feet, in an humid environment (>50%) and usually with wetted hands.

Not stupid, it's called binary mixig, add some tap rice hull or bran ad don't full fill the case.
  • Like 1

Ok, I have rice hulls, but I do not understand ... what is "tap rice hulls"?

Sorry I'm italian :)

And .. what is the purpose of adding rice hulls to the mix? It help the mixing procedure or it act like a fluffing agent?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi

Exactly, rice hulls act as a fluffing agent which helps mixing all chems together. The binary mixing is the safest, but not always possible (if building a bottom shot).

• Like 1

It is possible to add 5% of 1000-2000µm titanium sponge, or during the pasting procedure the titanium can spark and so ignite the flash?

Maybe foolish, but it can be a nice idea to spread a good glue around the internal wall of the shells and stick the titanium particles, so they cannot move anymore

inside the shell?

You can add Ti to it and get a nice splash of silver sparks. If you glue the Ti to the shell inner wall you will get a different effect. If I'm not mistaken, you get a donuts shape of sparks, but you may have to use a cylindrical shell casing. Just search Dr X salutes in YouTube. There was a video of him showing prepared cylindrical tubes where inner walls were covered in Ti sponge.

• 1 month later...
Ball shells done the same way work too. It's harder to pick out since they're spherical. Still looks sort if like a cloud, just less dense.