Photo
- - - - -

Maybe a stupid idea to further reduce flash issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MinamotoKobayashi

MinamotoKobayashi

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

My idea is to put the individually screened chems (German dark plus aluminum atomized) directly inside one of the two half shells.

For that purpose I will use a 2" paper shell.

When I have putted the two not-mixed chems until it is completely filled (or just a little bit to avoid dangerous leak), I will close the shell with the other half and wrap around the equator the usual wetted gummed tape.

Now I will start to paste the small shell as usually, but since the shell is half filled, the continuous rolling act like a washing machine, mixing perfectly the chems inside.

In that way I will avoid one of the most scary passage: the diapering.

Besides this, I will work with wetted tape, so the risk of sparks is reduced to almost zero.

This method can work fine and can effectiverly reduce the risks?

When I work with BP, KP or flash I wear only cotton and I work directly on the floor with naked feet, in an humid environment (>50%) and usually with wetted hands.

#2 kingkama

kingkama

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

Not stupid, it's called binary mixig, add some tap rice hull or bran ad don't full fill the case.
  • MinamotoKobayashi likes this

#3 MinamotoKobayashi

MinamotoKobayashi

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Ok, I have rice hulls, but I do not understand  ... what is "tap rice hulls"?

Sorry I'm italian :)

And .. what is the purpose of adding rice hulls to the mix? It help the mixing procedure or it act like a fluffing agent?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi, 07 May 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:37 PM

Exactly, rice hulls act as a fluffing agent which helps mixing all chems together. The binary mixing is the safest, but not always possible (if building a bottom shot).

• MinamotoKobayashi likes this

#5 MinamotoKobayashi

MinamotoKobayashi

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

It is possible to add 5% of 1000-2000µm titanium sponge, or during the pasting procedure the titanium can spark and so ignite the flash?

Maybe foolish, but it can be a nice idea to spread a good glue around the internal wall of the shells and stick the titanium particles, so they cannot move anymore

inside the shell?

#6 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

You can add Ti to it and get a nice splash of silver sparks. If you glue the Ti to the shell inner wall you will get a different effect. If I'm not mistaken, you get a donuts shape of sparks, but you may have to use a cylindrical shell casing. Just search Dr X salutes in YouTube. There was a video of him showing prepared cylindrical tubes where inner walls were covered in Ti sponge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users