APC Forum

Duds

dntmi

Been having a bunch of salute duds lately. I?m attaching pics to see if anyone has any insight. Drilling 1/8 hole mid fuse, tabbing hot glue in the hole, then running fuse in it. 1 out of 5 are duds and look like they stop at the glue and leave a little nub. I thought I got bad fuse but just got better quality and am getting the same results. See attached pics. Thanks for any info.

post-22261-0-03653500-1556586021_thumb.jpg

post-22261-0-73967900-1556586031_thumb.jpg

You're putting glue in the hole and then stuffing your fuse into that glue? Hot glue over the fuse core would cause your problem. Have you checked to see if the fuse burned through into the tube?

You're putting glue in the hole and then stuffing your fuse into that glue? Hot glue over the fuse core would cause your problem. Have you checked to see if the fuse burned through into the tube?

Yes, Im putting glue in the hole then running the fuse through. Some work some dont. The ones that dont the fuse didnt burn past the tube. Im guessing putting glue in first is a no no?

This is beyond my experience level..... Hoping some of the more experienced members of the forum can chime in with what works for them. Ned???? Lloyd???

I was a hesitant to give advice on this, and I don't want to be a jerk, but if you can't diagnose the issue based on the info given you probably shouldn't be playing with any type of salute comp.
  • Like 2

I was a hesitant to give advice on this, and I don't want to be a jerk, but if you can't diagnose the issue based on the info given you probably shouldn't be playing with any type of salute comp.

Just looking for a little insight. Thought thats what the newbie forum was for. My thoughts are me putting glue in the hole first is the issue. But its so random I havent pin pointed it.

The visco is unlikely to be "crimped" by a snug fit hole in the red tube wall, but the visco will stop if there is glue across the end. As an insert visco may take fire anywhere along it's length, also remember that visco passes fire out the sides, it matters not how much there is inside the device.

Doing basic learning with flash crackers is poor form, may get you hurt or arrested or both.

It seems the fuse has trouble burning thru that hole when glued. Try it without the glue.

I also have trouble understanding how are you drilling hole mid fuse? Are you drilling a hole into the visco fuse? Why?

What is inside that tube? Try few of them with the tube empty (void of end plugs and powder) and show us the inside of the tube when failed.

What fuse are you using? Visco, blackmatch?

And you should pick color other than red for the tube to avoid confusion with certain popular, and illegal firework.

• Like 1

There is something you need to understand. Your pictures are pretty much proof positive that you are attempting to make M-80's. Calling them salutes isn't going to change what the pictures clearly show. In case you don't know, M-80's are flat out illegal; because of this you are going to have some difficulty getting advice from some of us more experienced people. We have enough trouble from the government (federal, state, and local) trying to do the hobby that we love, without getting involved in things like M-80's. Reputable suppliers won't even sell a person dark aluminum if they, in any way, think you are going to try and make M-80's

• Like 1

Not that it makes much difference since I agree with your overall point, but it's only illegal to sell or otherwise distribute M-80s and similar devices. It's perfectly legal to make them for personal use assuming you store them properly and don't transport them, or have the appropriate licensing to transport. After all, how would you differentiate a box of timed reports waiting to be loaded into a shell from a box of "M-80s?"

There is something you need to understand. Your pictures are pretty much proof positive that you are attempting to make M-80's. Calling them salutes isn't going to change what the pictures clearly show. In case you don't know, M-80's are flat out illegal; because of this you are going to have some difficulty getting advice from some of us more experienced people. We have enough trouble from the government (federal, state, and local) trying to do the hobby that we love, without getting involved in things like M-80's. Reputable suppliers won't even sell a person dark aluminum if they, in any way, think you are going to try and make M-80's

I'm familiar, and don't see how that contradicts what I said. M-80s are illegal as consumer fireworks (meaning they can't be sold as 1.4G because they exceed the legal amounts of flash). And " it's illegal to engage in the business of manufacturing explosives without a license." If you're not selling what you make then you're not in business, and most of what we build exceeds the 1.4G limits anyway.

The ATF has been very clear that building for personal use doesn't require a Federal license so long as you don't transport and comply with storage regs: "You may manufacture display fireworks for personal use at your property without obtaining a Federal explosives license or permit (a manufacturer’s license is needed only by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing fireworks for sale, distribution, or other commercial purpose). However, where storage occurs, you must comply with all storage requirements in 27 CFR, Part 555, Subpart K. In addition, a Federal explosives license or permit is required to transport, or cause to be transported, the explosive materials"

Whether or not state/local regs are more restrictive will vary.

Boomerz get the cops called because they are loud and the people building them tend to not follow the laws and set them off in stupid/dangerous places where they will piss people off.

• Like 1

B​ut I’m here to tell you you don’t wanna fuck with the ATF, FBI and any other assorted interested agencies.

Trust me :P

• 5 months later...
Now are you using chineese or american visco if its not coated no way i would use it.