APC Forum

KSO4 as Oxidizer?

Soren11112

I was looking and I noticed Potassium Sulfate is relatively easy to acquire and has a higher electronegativity than KNO3. As I start getting back in the "rocket candy making season" I want to experiment with some more oxidizers than KNO3. Has anyone tried KSO4?

What do you mean by electronegativity? The context I'm familiar with doesn't really got here.

Soren, I've experimented quite a lot with sulfates in rocket motors, mostly with dual oxidizers. It requires metal fuels because of the high decomposition temps of sulfates. Most of my experiments with it are centered around strobe rocket effects.

If you could get a rocket to burn steady on sulfates alone, it would be extremely powerful but difficult to pull off.

Edited by NeighborJ

The Nitrate/sugars fuels are reasonably well characterised now with predictable burn rates and power. Once you change the fuel or oxidiser you will need to do lots of work to prove that it's a workably safe process and that it actually works well in a rocket. Remember people who make AP based rocket motors have their own recipies and care very much what mesh size and mesh size mix they use.