APC Forum

platinized titanium anodes

MadMat

Jewelery materials stockists sell "enough for a ring" pieces of gold,platinum and iridium for almost easy prices. The secure bullion delivery charge may be more than the metal cost. The issue may be that bullion comes down to 1mm thickness whereas 0.25mm would be a better thin electrode with less material mass for a given area. The up side of sheet Pt is that you can use two sides so 1" x 1" becomes 2 square inches for electrolysis if pared with two suitable other electrodes.

When I commented on the expense of platinum, I was unaware that the price has dropped to nearly $800 USD/Troy Ounce (31.1 grams).

If I can find a reasonable seller of pure platinum, I may try to get 3 grams to experiment with. I hope the cost is under $100 USD.

WSM B)

Three grams seems like several lifetimes worth of material if you plan to go the chloroplatinic acid route. Well justified if one plans to use solid sheet Pt instead of the plated Ti.

A fraction of a gram shall do the trick for acid, so your initial expenses should not be higher than about 30 bucks regarding Pt, depending of course on how good a deal you can get.

Three grams seems like several lifetimes worth of material if you plan to go the chloroplatinic acid route. Well justified if one plans to use solid sheet Pt instead of the plated Ti.

A fraction of a gram shall do the trick for acid, so your initial expenses should not be higher than about 30 bucks regarding Pt, depending of course on how good a deal you can get.

If I venture to do this, I'll buy the metal while the prices are down.

I've long considered forming a 1 gram bullion piece into thin sheet (foil), that I can carefully spot weld into a CP titanium frame, all for a perchlorate anode.

I like the idea of plating the platinum onto the titanium substrate in multiple layers, using the "paint and bake" method you described. If I use many more layers, I hope it will hold up for much longer than you described. We'll see...

WSM B)

No-one who sells Pt will ship it without using a reliable courier and there is a $30 invoice for a start.

My hope was to find a bullion dealer in my area who's willing to sell some at a (hopefully reasonable) fixed markup above spot price. It appears that most Ebay sellers simply double the price they pay, and that's unacceptable to me.

I'll try to look into it soon, but it's not high on my list of priorities right now.

WSM B)

• 1 year later...

I used low current with a platinized titanium anode, to convert sodium chlorate solution to sodium perchlorate solution.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 A/cm2. The ozone production seemed minimal and at the projected end-of-run,

I had lots of NaClO4.

WSM B)

Correction: That was 0.1-0.2 A/cm2 , NOT 1-2 Amps. I just read what I posted earlier and realized my mistake.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

• 1 year later...

These few micron platinized titanium anodes everyone is complaining they are damage too fast and the short lifetime. Don't buy them because it's a waste of money. We need platinum clad anodes with minimum 50 micron thick pure platinum coating. Using pure silver or a niobium and copper core combination works fine. The right surface is required what tolerate minimum 6V 4-6A without any problem. The electrode cannot be too small because it cannot be produced with it. A 50 micron thick clad platinum working for lifetime, for almost the same price. In my electrode are 200 micron thick the platinum coating, in a silver base. And must buy them only from trusted company’s, Ebay are full of fake and poor quality platinum anodes.

See: The Crop is in , The homemade chlorate and perchlorate project , Perchlorate Synthesis , Damage Platinum Anode , Platinum destroyed

We need something like this: Platinum Clad Anodes , My setup ,

blogentry-23107-0-23142000-1649769590.jp

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Platinum anode parameters for KClO3 and NaClO4 Silver 70mm x 3mm pure platinum 0,2mm fully coated the silver. For 400-1500ml cells max 6V 4-6A.

It has been operating without problems for more than 10 years.
Edited by mx5kevin