APC Forum

Mesh required for magnesium?

Frebbe

Hello, I've been all over google also tried to search "Magnesium Mesh" in your search bar in here.

I used to make flashes that went off really quickly with a mix of KNO3/Mg/S. The magnesium was from Frederiksen.eu, but it was not stated how fine mesh it was.

How fine should my magnesium be for this fast explosion that makes a great flash? I know the mix is highly explosive, and I am taking the right safety measures to stay safe.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I should "feed the boomer" or if forum protocol is to ignore these kinds of posts

I think the main concern here is that if you knew enough to make flash safely, you would not ask this question.

Second, I tend to stay away from powdered magnesium in general, for all compositions. I certainly would never use it in flash - it is considered one of the more dangerous/unpredictable flash mixtures. Especially adding sulfur as a sensitizer - asking for trouble even more. Don't make Mg flash. That's all I have to say on that.

• Like 3

While, I wont say don't make mg based reports. ( its pretty much required for good colored reports ) If you dont know what mesh size to use, you probably also dont really understand the hazards of it. And, really shouldn't be playing with it. Edited by Carbon796
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Edited by ronmoper76

Ferret,

I am not sure why you do not rec using Mg for salutes? I have had great success, and unlike sulfer based mixes, it was my understanding that Mg was generally less "Sensitive"...is that not so?

Also,

I would like to add that at one point, EVERYONE here asked the same questions at some point...telling someone that they do not "know enough" to ask questions is almost as silly as presuming to know that they are CURRENTLY mixing, rather then doing due diligence and researching the topic....share knowledge, share love.

Edited by mikev
  • Like 1

While, I wont say don't make mg based reports. ( its pretty much required for good colored reports ) If you dont know what mesh size to use, you probably also dont really understand the hazards of it. And, really shouldn't be playing with it.

I was curious if you would recommend Al, carbon, perchlorate, w Mg? I have some left over odds and ends....looking to make a few salutes...not sure about the proper ratio. Usually i would use 70/30, KClO4 to Al....incorporating the Mg and float charcoal....i seem to be messing up my maths....any advice regarding the ratios?

Aluminum is much safer than magnesium. Also magnesium reacts with kno3 so it needs to be coated for use with it or you can have a undesirable reaction. Please do some more reading before attempting to build anything. By reading I am not talking about cruising the internet looking up ways to make salutes or firecrackers but buy a respected book on pyrotechnics and read it cover to cover something like "Fireworks, the Art, Science and Technique", by Dr. Takeo Shimizu , Chemistry of Powder and Explosives Davis, FIREWORKS PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE by Lancaster or start watching and doing the Fireworking 101 series by Ned Gorski on you tube. The Fireworking 101, 201, 301 and 401 are the only videos on youtube you should trust until you learn enough to decide for your self which videos are safe and which will get you killed or horribly burned like will happen messing magnesium comps before you are ready. I do not say this to be hurtful or put you off but to keep you from getting burn like I did by magnesium.

• Like 1

it definitely demands respect... Just a small pile of it on its own with zero oxidizer burns violently. I lit a couple grams finely powdered in a burn barrel on a piece of cardboard with a torch to show someone back a few months ago what it was like and it lit and flashed so quickly that i even got a few hairs on my arm singed and i really wasnt even near it.. It has certain applications and it does them well or i wouldnt even keep any around.