• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frebbe

Frebbe

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:21 AM

Hello, I've been all over google also tried to search "Magnesium Mesh" in your search bar in here.

I used to make flashes that went off really quickly with a mix of KNO3/Mg/S. The magnesium was from Frederiksen.eu, but it was not stated how fine mesh it was.

How fine should my magnesium be for this fast explosion that makes a great flash? I know the mix is highly explosive, and I am taking the right safety measures to stay safe.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Ferret

Ferret

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:44 PM

Not sure if I should "feed the boomer" or if forum protocol is to ignore these kinds of posts

I think the main concern here is that if you knew enough to make flash safely, you would not ask this question. 

Second, I tend to stay away from powdered magnesium in general, for all compositions. I certainly would never use it in flash - it is considered one of the more dangerous/unpredictable flash mixtures. Especially adding sulfur as a sensitizer - asking for trouble even more. Don't make Mg flash. That's all I have to say on that. 

• Carbon796 likes this

#3 Carbon796

Carbon796

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Vintage tube radios, Jet Boats, Custom painting.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

While, I wont say don't make mg based reports. ( its pretty much required for good colored reports ) If you dont know what mesh size to use, you probably also dont really understand the hazards of it. And, really shouldn't be playing with it.

Edited by Carbon796, 13 March 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#4 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

B00m3rz

Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users