no real bangs

dave

#42 cmjlab

cmjlab

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

Nope, no real bangs, though it was louder than the video portrayed from using cell camera, I've had far louder dragon egg snaps.

My 36 ga "Kanthal" Wire doesn't heat as fast as an equivalent or smaller nichrome wire does. Not sure that would make a real difference, but I've ordered some 50 ga Nichrome Wire to try anyway.

I also wonder if a thicker dark report comp / 1st fire, with no 2d fire Pyrogen for heat, but still coated in thick outer coating for containment - would be louder? When making them, I have been copying directions for commercial ematch and just using a very small amount of KClO3/SbS2 (50:50) to act as ignition and fire for thermite comp/2d layer.

In theory, there'd be no sparks, little smoke, but a loud crack from a mini report comp.... I now have to make more..... Thanks, you've led me to an itch I need to scratch!

#43 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 01 August 2022 - 01:04 PM

What’s the point of a “snappy ematch” anyway? You just want fire, no? No “pop” I mean for normal ematch usage. Crap, the match at the beginning might shatter a rocket’s powder grain.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#44 dave321

dave321

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 01:26 PM

What’s the point of a “snappy ematch” anyway? You just want fire, no? No “pop” I mean for normal ematch usage. Crap, the match at the beginning might shatter a rocket’s powder grain.

the FER "ematch" is NOT designed for ignition.

its a spfx ematch designed as a potential noise unit for training purposes to signify a "fatal error report"

dave

#45 dave321

dave321

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 01:30 PM

I also wonder if a thicker dark report comp / 1st fire, with no 2d fire Pyrogen for heat, but still coated in thick outer coating for containment - would be louder? 

I definately think the answer would be,..... YES it would be significantly louder

dave

#46 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 04:34 PM

As ever there is loudness by a louder comp, OR loudness by added confinement.

#47 cmjlab

cmjlab

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 11:32 PM

Whats the point of a snappy ematch anyway? You just want fire, no? No pop I mean for normal ematch usage. Crap, the match at the beginning might shatter a rockets powder grain.

Meh, at this point I've just picked up the challenge for the hell of it. And I get to refine my ematch making process, and test different comps.

For example, I've learned that i can get an instant fire even with crimping. I suck at soldering, so crimping the bridge wire is actually faster and more reliable (I've never been taught how to solder correctly, or taught which solder / flux combos work best for which metals, and I learn best by observing in-person once, then I'm good to go). Yes - I've tried watching a YouTube video on soldering and reading up on metals / flux; that led toy ADD going to full afterburn and a rabbit hole of how to braze (and details), then how to weld and details, then how to weld with a brazing setup..... :-)

I also learned that a thermite 2d fire Pyrogen would work pretty good to guarantee ignition of shells, etc.... Though I'd likely use courser magnesium, but continue to use Dichromate to treat it since it appeared to help it ignite quicker / at a lower temp.

Lots of good info for me. Besides the forums are kind of slow right now, and I'm focused on replenishing my charcoal and B.P. supply. I'd like to have 75 lbs of lift / burst made, and 25 lbs of +20 - 40 mesh smaller granules for spollettes / inserts / etc, before I start building shells for New Years. Sucked running out for the 4th of July!

Charles

Charles

#48 cmjlab

cmjlab

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 11:35 PM

As ever there is loudness by a louder comp, OR loudness by added confinement.

I think I agree with that!

Any ideas for louder comps? (I don't have exotic chems like boron or barium peroxide etc...)

Charles

#49 dave321

dave321

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 01:43 PM

a further analysis of FER video,

1) FER prior to ignition

2) ignition, bright white flash, hardly visible on normal playback speed

3) slight fireball observed