• dave321

• cmjlab

• Richtee

• Arthur

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

robbo

Posted Images

I've always suspected that there is only a few milligrams of active comp on an e-match, perhaps it's easy to load more than necessary and make a bigger bang.

I think that the lacquer is flammable but only there to waterproof the active comp. I've heard too many names of primary explosives used as the comp to believe all of them.

I dont know if what you have pictured is an actual stunt effects squib but with the blue and white wires, it may be and M&G E-match but with the 'pop' it is making, I am guessing it is a special effect squib.

Neoprene backed stainless steel plate (18-20 ga) with one of those taped down under a "blood pack" then the effect is slipped into an elastic wrap with a hole or taped to the body or attached to an undershirt then set off in conjunction with the timing of the gun shot.

Use in pyrotechnics would be limited due to the lack of flame and the report as it would tend to destroy rather than light an effect.

Just an opinion.

dag,

I think you are correct it is a special effects squib.

if I am correct I think jeff Genzel had a video of the effect being used as a bullet hit effect in the wall

https://youtu.be/u7GhtpFHrps

but what are they using ??

Edited by dave321

I am beginning to guess that it may use lead styphnate, due to the black deposit left on the paper after firing, and lack of flame,

and the fact that I don't think it can easily be transported by air, which may indicate a primary.

I realise this is a bit of a tenuous guess.

alternative suggestions welcome :wacko:

Would they use lead anything in close proximity to living/breathing peeps? I’d find that kinda surprising...

Would they use lead anything in close proximity to living/breathing peeps? I’d find that kinda surprising...

Edited by dave321

Lead was essential for sensitive compounds once and there is still a lot of old ammo in boxes, but it's partly been replaced by the comparable bismuth compound.

It was once proposed that lead was harmful but in the quantities in which it's actually used it was nearly impossible to measure except in range supervisors in military or civil life, where traces could be detected but not certainly sourced to the ammo -real life contains a little lead.

Should you really want to know the compound, analysis of the comp or it's decomp products using info from Vogel's series of analysis method books should determine what metals are present and what organic compounds are in the mix.

the only pyrotechnic mix that i think would come close to the effect would be

a nano aluminium nano molybdenum trioxide mix.

so if its not that, my money is on a primary.

i simply cant think of any other pyrotechnic composition that would perform as shown.

• 3 years later...

just revisiting this topic re the "FER" by MJG

i now see they are doing a self dip kit,

https://electricmatch.com/blasting-law-enforcement-military/see/46/7/make-your-own-fer-and-low-voltage-stis

so im guessing it cant be that complicated, but i just dont know how they can get that very loud snappy reaction ?????????? its literally a sharp CRACK,

im guessing the coating is just NC.

as to the composition ?????????? i think jeff genzel said it was an ehanced j-tek ??????which i believe to be a bismuth trioxide, boron, pot pechlorate, titanium thermite type composition,

but i could be wrong.

i ask again , how are they doing it?

has anyone bought one of the FER self dip kits?

dragons eggs compositions have too long a lag time .

i did consider if the sharp crack is due to using a maybe a capacitor discharge system to fire it

guys see if you can work it out

i also thought that the blue and white lead wires were to be only used for the FIREWIRE product

Edited by dave321

• 2 weeks later...

just revisiting this topic re the "FER" by MJG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-m8ydkQwxk

i now see they are doing a self dip kit,

https://electricmatch.com/blasting-law-enforcement-military/see/46/7/make-your-own-fer-and-low-voltage-stis

so im guessing it cant be that complicated, but i just dont know how they can get that very loud snappy reaction ?????????? its literally a sharp CRACK,

im guessing the coating is just NC.

as to the composition ?????????? i think jeff genzel said it was an ehanced j-tek ??????which i believe to be a bismuth trioxide, boron, pot pechlorate, titanium thermite type composition,

but i could be wrong.

i ask again , how are they doing it?

has anyone bought one of the FER self dip kits?

dragons eggs compositions have too long a lag time .

i did consider if the sharp crack is due to using a maybe a capacitor discharge system to fire it

guys see if you can work it out

i also thought that the blue and white lead wires were to be only used for the FIREWIRE product

you have no way of knowing what the lag time is because you have absolutely no way of knowing when the power got turned on in that video. It looks a lot like dragon egg reaction

i agree it "looks" like a dragon egg type crack, thats a fair comment, but the self dip kit looks pretty straight forward .

i think dragons egg compositions would require a hot primer on the e-match first, which i dont think would

be used in what appears as a simple one step self dip kit.

it also appears very smokey.

also, if it can be used as a bullet hit effect in plasterboard, the ignition would have to be instantaneous.

Edited by dave321

i agree it "looks" like a dragon egg type crack, thats a fair comment, but the self dip kit looks pretty straight forward .

i think dragons egg compositions would require a hot primer on the e-match first, which i dont think would

be used in what appears as a simple one step self dip kit.

it also appears very smokey.

also, if it can be used as a bullet hit effect in plasterboard, the ignition would have to be instantaneous.

I did some DE mix on 30 Ga nichrome. 12V 7AH bat. Took about 1.5 seconds to pop. but pop it did. Not the same thing pictured.

e-match blank use around 44awg to 52awg, far too small to ignite a DE composition.

i dont know of a DE composition with no lag time, does anyone ?

i am sure the actual item will turn out to be a relatively simple composition.

It appears contained... Perhaps a chlorate/sulfur/Antimony mix.

Might be too hot for an ematch?

Edited by Richtee

Honestly I don't think the correct term for this thing is any match at all. It's more like a detonator or a squib. I'm sure it would not light a fuse and it would definitely not make one of my Rockets happy LOL

Hmm,

chlorate and sulphur is a no no !!

It’s more a “shouldn’t-shouldn’t” when it comes to stuff you want to be sensitive. And in small quans. that are not gonna hang around.