APC Forum

shell map hemispher

Arw

There is no map/drawing on flat paper that will give a nice spherical hemisphere without a round pattern or mould.

I have a PolyEthylen mold that don by CNC and I make 600 hemisphere but this map not good enough.

I wish you have better one

As I understand it the math behind the program is sound. It can be tweaked with regard to the number of petals and the amount of overlap, the fit will improve as the overlap goes towards zero and the number of petals goes towards infinity.

As I understand it the math behind the program is sound. It can be tweaked with regard to the number of petals and the amount of overlap, the fit will improve as the overlap goes towards zero and the number of petals goes towards infinity.

yes overlap is the problem

what do you think about 6 petals?

how should i design?

can I find a ready map?

Just get some commercial shells or hemis and reverse-engineer the hemis pattern (aka: soak them in water overnight then spread and dry).
This will give you the real deal.

Arw: The script works best under Linux, you can run it from a LiveCD or install it under VMware. I found my VM from years ago, so just let me know what you need. Here's a 100mm, 6 petal 0 overlap map.

map.pdf

Edited by Fulmen

Are you forming into a female mold, or trying to form over a male mold? In my experience pressing into a female mold works best.

Each layer of paper on the mould really needs to be a different size, to account for the progressive size change from layer to layer. Sometimes you just have to pull and push the damp paper leaves into the shape needed.

Arw: The script works best under Linux, you can run it from a LiveCD or install it under VMware. I found my VM from years ago, so just let me know what you need. Here's a 100mm, 6 petal 0 overlap map.

unfortunately does not work but its better

There is a hemi template generator in the files section

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/files/file/113-hemi-printing-templatezip/

Template hemi`s vs chinese hemi

That's a web page that doesn't exist anyway

Are you forming into a female mold, or trying to form over a male mold? In my experience pressing into a female mold works best.

both together a female down and a male mold on up

Each layer of paper on the mould really needs to be a different size, to account for the progressive size change from layer to layer. Sometimes you just have to pull and push the damp paper leaves into the shape needed.

its depend to thickness of your hemisphere and your paper

No they don't. You'll never have a perfect shape at the end and will need to trim regardless.

I agree, even with die cut discs you still have to trim.

unfortunately does not work but its better

I'm sorry to hear that. But unless you provide more information it is impossible to help you. I can of course make another map, but I would need the specs.

In theory yes. But following the same logic you really need a pattern with an infinite number of petals, and yet you don't. The obvious answer is to use a soft, porous paper that can yield and flow into the desired shape. It would require a closed mold, i.e. the female should be extended to a cylinder with a close-fitting male.

The paper wont flow inside a mold unless its a slurry ;) The hemi`s can be trimmed on a modified pillar drill. The male part of the mold is attached to the chuck and a big bearing is attached to the table. Crank the handle down so the hemi pole is clamped against the bearing and swing a blade in from the side at the correct height to trim off the excess. Its a good idea to include a stop to prevent the blade cutting into the mold.

I disagree, anything will flow with enough force :P

I can't tell how clean the edges are, but at least these ladies seems to manage with a single size of paper:

I have molds for 3" and 4" hemi`s The cost of steel molds and press for 16`s wouldnt be worthwhile unless you needed a lot. Even then you could prolly afford to just buy them with the savings made on the smaller sizes ;)

nope but they dont press and trim them in one operation. ;)

two discs are staggered and stuck together in this one

and in this one

one of these is ideal for mass production ;)

Edited by Col

There is a vid showing the trimming operation but i havent managed to find it so far ;) If you figure a way to press a hemi from paper with a perfectly flat rim you`ll save 5-10 seconds of trimming ;).