APC Forum

Preferred header type?

gunner1

So, I've been pondering something in regards to salute headings for rockets. Cylindrical or round - is one better than the other? Does the flame that travels through the salute comp travel (propagate) better when it's exposed to more comp surface area like that in the round heading or doesn't it matter?

Personally I'd consider which shape you can secure best to the rocket motor. Some people use cylinder headers, some use spherical the choice is (IMO ) largely which one you can make best with the tooling you have.

Headers usually break off from rockets as they are being loaded into launch tubes.

Arthur, do you mean that when they break off, it is most likely when being loaded? I have not seen that happen.

Because the volume of a sphere is two-thirds the volume of a cylinder, the cylinder will hold 33% more comp for the same space.

Because a sphere is rounded, it gives less wind resistance and does not "steer" the rocket as much as a flat top of the cylinder does.

Attaching shells to rockets is very simple but most people make it so complicated that it adds huge amounts of weight, time and expense.

Using the cinch method, use four pieces of tape, masking or strapping and cross them over the top of the shell after either using white glue or hot glue to attach the shell to the top of the rocket motor. Bring the opposing strips down the shell and leaving them relatively straight, stick them to the rocket motor tube. Repeat with the other two opposing strips.

Use a section of tape to secure the tape ends on the rocket tube and spiral it up toward the heading until the tape becomes tight.

Add a second strip of tape on the base of the heading if desired.

If one uses strapping tape to cinch it down, it becomes nearly impossible to pull the shell of the rocket motor.

rockets-with-headers.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For salute rockets my preference is to use paper headers rolled onto the end of the rocket with light kraft paper and tied closed. Salutes are quick and easy so I don't see the need spending a lot of time on them. If I am looking for a bigger salute, I generally use the plastic canisters. They are easy to fill, close, and attach; Dagabu's method is exactly how I do it.