APC Forum

Fuse unreliable

goro20

i have safety fuse or just visco fuse and it i used it on a firecracker and it shot very fast like fast fuse or blackmatch almost. I tried lighting it and it started to jitter. (Probably because it isnt primed with black powder) which is normal it happens a lot to old fuse but then when it finally catched the fire it went too fast and started to jump cut. Like the fire on the front of the fuse thats lead i think started touches other sides of the fuse that where lower. The fuse was facing sideways so not from down to up or up to down. It was angled a little bit like a banana. It was just a black powder firecracker but i dont like that. Does anyone maybe know what can cause this. Its 3mm fuse so pretty thick and powerfull it flies away when you put it on the ground somethimes. does taping the fuse in tape maybe prevent this? Are there beter visco that maybe dont do this?

They make visco of all different burnrates. Some is less then a second per foot, some is over 30 seconds per foot. If your unsure of the type of fuse you have, it always a good idea to do a test burn before using it in any device.
  • Like 1

When NC coated fuse gets old it can burn inconsistently because the NC will degrade and not properly serve its intended purpose. Some fuse is not coated and is vulnerable to jumping ahead from the fallout of side spit. Fuse which has been abused,bent or mishandled can burn inconsistently or quick match ahead because the powder cord is now loose and unconsolidated. Some fuse is just porly made with gaps or thickness variations in the core.

It wasnt neccersarly old but layed in the warehouse for some time, yes i tested the fuse and it worked fine. 3 times and one with ductape around it. none of them shot fast and all acted normal.