APC Forum

To lift a massive 8" shell using a rocket.

MinamotoKobayashi

Hello forum.

Today I ended the construction of a granulated r-candy rocket with a massive 8" shell on the top.

The total weight of this monster, without sticks (three x 1500 mm sticks needed), is 3,6 KG.

For this purpose I build a 350mm rocket with a hole depth of 310mm. Hole diameter is 12mm

The body of the rocket is aluminum made and has a wall thickness of 1.5mm.

The OD of the rocket is 30mm, and the mix was pressed at 6700 PSI.

This is the launch of the rocket only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifqcFXNTBE

... and this is the finished firework:

32542221418_790a4f2b99_h.jpg

I was able to lift without problems a 2KG firework (rocket with a 6" shell attached on the top) using a shorter rocket with an aluminum body,

but I'm not sure that this build will be able to lift a similar weight so, before to launch it in a very safe area, I wish to know other valids alternative

for a very performant rocket propellant.

I do not want absolutely to work with the very dangerous whistle mix.

My idea was to use fast BP or crimson powder, but I do not know the behaviour of this powders used as a pressed lift charge nor if they are drillable

like the well collaudated r-candy mix.

Anyone can help me please?

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi
  • Like 1

youtube.com/watch?v=5g9uCcY7tFg

Proves the concept but does use a whistle motor. The downside is that you need small county of empty space to land the stick and motor casing.

That is certanly an impressive motor and shell. It is also scary to imagine how things could go wrong. There is an old saying, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". It probably will be awesome and work great but that aluminum motor casing and the size makes my arse pucker.

If I were to try such a rocket It would definitely be a cluster of 4-6 nozzleless 3lb BP motors in cardboard tubes and only after much testing. Aluminum motor casings are great for being able to handle the higher internal pressures of large motors but the obvoius safety issues are a huge concern. There are some things which can be done to make them safer such as parachutes or streamers. They can be mounted securely to the outside of the motor in protective tubes with external fusing and timed to be ejected after the burst. They would only need to be large enough to carry the spent motor casing and stick.

WOW!!!

Impressive stuff.

At that shell size a mortar may be better than a rocket?

• Like 1