APC Forum

best paper for firecracker?

djcruzer

almost a year of making of homemade pulomna using of bondpaper but not it is not loud as being expected to compare to manufactured pulomna...

my homemade pulomna almost have 5g of flashpowder while manufactured just using of 1g but sound louder than my homemade....

does paper type affect the loudnes of firecracker??

• 1 year later...

almost a year of making of homemade pulomna using of bondpaper but not it is not loud as being expected to compare to manufactured pulomna...

my homemade pulomna almost have 5g of flashpowder while manufactured just using of 1g but sound louder than my homemade....

does paper type affect the loudnes of firecracker??

For small firecrackers i use 40% sodium silicate as glue with copy paper. This gives hard, rigid, strong paper tubes which are very ideal for firecrackers. For large firecrackers i use wood glue with water cc 3:1 ratio and brown craft paper (masking paper) from paint shop. The wall thickness are 8-10% of the internal diameter of the tube.

Edited by mx5kevin

The smaller the salute, the more important the quality of the aluminum powder becomes. I also like to use flash powder with sulfur in small salutes. Sulfur seems to make the "bang" more brisant.

• 2 months later...

I've always "rolled my own" firecrackers. I use whatever paper I have on hand which is

usually newspaper or junk mail adverts. The Junk Mail stuff is free.

Doesn't take much time to cut the strips and roll them up.

The noise produced is mostly dependent upon the "brisance" of the powder used.

A quick Black Powder produces very nice results.

I never use Flash.