• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SamGurdus

SamGurdus

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:51 PM

I am looking to order some aluminum to make flash powder for use in shells, but am lost between the different options. Right now I am looking at Aluminum German Dark Pyro, Aluminum German Flake 10890 Eckart, and Aluminum Indian Blackhead Dark Pyro, all from Fireworks Cookbook. Could someone fill me in on the differences between them and how they affect the end result? Thanks.

#2 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:26 AM

For a booster, 10890 is my favorite.

Indian blackhead and German dark pyro are both very fine, and mostly used for salutes. Others may disagree, but I find them more or less interchangeable. 10890 is somewhat coarser, around 30 micron vs. single digit micron. I find it a little tamer, and easier to dial in for boosting shells. I use something similar to the Spanish booster for my shells. It also makes nice streamers and has some uses in other effects.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#3 Dom13c

Dom13c

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Radio electronics,pyrotechnics,chemistry( inorganic and physical ), travelling around,

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

Well, I personally prefer the Indian Blackhead Dark Pyro for making flash composition . It gives a damn good result (at least for me) and a 1:1 mixture of it with either Bariun nitrate or Strontium nitrate gives a safe and quite powerful flash powder which may find its use in shells and salutes.

#4 Carbon796

Carbon796

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Vintage tube radios, Jet Boats, Custom painting.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

That's a waste of barium or strontium nitrate, to use them as a booster or for salutes.

Edited by Carbon796, 09 January 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#5 dlking59

dlking59

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

a 1:1 mixture of it with either Bariun nitrate or Strontium nitrate gives a safe and quite powerful flash powder which may find its use in shells and salutes.

Do you use anything other than the 2 chemicals to calm down the AL/nitrate mixture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users