APC Forum

PhoenixRising

Finally have time to post this. I took the "rain willow" formulas from the Chinese papers and modified them until I got something that worked.

2 versions, one gold and one white.

32 NaNO3

10 Mg/Al (30-60)

11 Copper Oxide

10 Sulfur or Sb2S3

20 Charcoal (syp)

10 FeTi or Ti

7 Dextrin

and

28 KNO3

10 Mg/Al (30-60)

15 Copper Oxide

10 Sulfur or Sb2S3

20 Charcoal (syp)

10 FeTi or Ti

7 Dextrin

Here's a quick video of the Potassium Nitrate, Sulfur, and Titanium version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT6FqtXm-8U

Mill the non-metal ingedients as you would for any charcoal heavy formula or slow glitter. If using antimony it should be screened in and not milled with the other components.

5.5 to 6 percent moisture works great for pressing.

The action appears to be a dross containing all of the metals that heats up and pops, spraying FeTi or Ti in a splatter pattern.

Every possible combination has been tested, between Sodium or Potassium Nitrate with FeTi and Ti and with Sulfur or antimony.

The only thing that was not tried was screening in the sulfur instead of milling it. Milling the charcoal and nitrate is probably the important part, but sulfur was just added anyway.

Using antimony trisulfide instead of sulfur yields a whiter color.

The Sodium Nitrate version with sulfur and FeTi is the most gold combination, and the Potassium NItrate version with antimony and Ti being the whitest.

I also suspect these might be usable as waterfall formulas though that hasn't been tested yet.

They burn quite long so treat them as you would Nashiki Kamuro or the likes.

• Like 1

Last night I realized the name probably caused some confusion:

I felt as though I had to be a complete fool to have tried so many compositions and failed. Fool's Gold became Foo's Gold.

If you, for some silly reason, need more delay then add 1 percent more sulfur.

At 11 and 12 percent sulfur it will still "work" but at 15 percent it's pretty much unusable.

I'll post the purple formula when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

Great one, but then I'm biased about glitters. I like them in all forms. BTW, can these compositions be used in glitter fountains?
Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks, I love glitters too. It's what got me into this hobby.

Not sure if they'd work in a fountain since they burn so slow. Adding a little black powder would probably speed things up.

Here's the Purple 3 formula:

42 KP

6 Mg/Al

27 Copper Oxide (black)

4 Strontium Carbonate

1 Calcium Carbonate

10 Saran

4 Hexamine

6 Phenolic Resin

This was meant to go with the other "apex" colors like the Chinese Orange listed in this forum earlier.

• Like 2

No primer was used for any of the tests. I can imagine some regular black powder prime would have helped things burn more evenly.

The burn rate between the 2 versions (white and gold) is pretty close and using primer should improve ignition consistency.

Unfortunately I'll be entirely too busy through the holidays to even THINK about pyro, let alone test anything else. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some time off. :(

These formulas are usually intentionally vague. They're often matrix comets of willows or glitters and Dragon eggs. The Chinese put composite formulas on the information sheets to intentionally hide what they really are.
  • Like 1