APC Forum

Sugar Rocket Motors Are Underpowered

KG7UAT

thats one of the funniest things ive heard in ages!!!!! Ive had 1 literally rip a brand new 1'' hardwood broom handle in half lengthways, with the very 1st J class KNDX motor I sent skyward, Harry Potter would have been impressed with that one - supersonic broomhandle!!!!! Not very powerfull tho..........

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've started "playing" around with rammed rocket fuel aka sugar motors. I've had very good results with them for static tests and a few successful flights with my flying 18mm Cinco design. Red Iron Oxide works wonders on the burn rate. I haven't used more than about 7 grams of KNSU+RIO in a use Estes 18mm casing. That's about all that will fit in the casing and still have room of a thick cap. I drill the nozzle out to 1/8". I have both drilled the core or used a mandrel (bamboo skewer) that 1/8". I've been using a oak dowel and dead blow hammer. It's been a lot of fun. I plan on scrounging up some 24mm casings and see if I can make a D class motor.

The only failures so far have been with a couple of bent casings and a two clay caps. If too thin the cap will blow out the top. I always have the motor in a vertical position when testing and I use electrical ignition at a safe distance, never a fuse or cigarette lighter. That has kept surprises to a minimum.

Eventually I will try making rocket candy (melted) KNSO (sorbitol) and KNDX (dextrose) motors and fly them at a local Tripoli Research launch.

Art Applewhite

Glad to hear it Art. Also nice to see that you found your local rocket club. Im jealous because I dont have one anywhere close to me. Seems like your pretty experienced in rockets, what have you done before?