APC Forum

Volume of charcoal

Aspirina

I bought the las week 2 pots of charcoal of 1kg, 1 of vine and other of pine, the volume of the pine is aprox the double of the vine, I tought that the vine charcoal are more light than pine, Im confused, is posible that one genetic of vine is more heavy than pine?

The density of charcoal for pyrotechnic use is not only connected to the wood it was produced from but also to how charring and milling has affected the particle shape. The more fibrous and needle-like the particles are the the lower the bulk density will be.

Pine charcoal is often very fibrous but I remember I also was perplexed some years ago when I compared samples of pine, olive and Chinese "vegetal" charcoals where the pine variety had the highest density.

• Like 1

The density of charcoal for pyrotechnic use is not only connected to the wood it was produced from but also to how charring and milling has affected the particle shape. The more fibrous and needle-like the particles are the the lower the bulk density will be.

Pine charcoal is often very fibrous but I remember I also was perplexed some years ago when I compared samples of pine, olive and Chinese "vegetal" charcoals where the pine variety had the highest density.

Nice, thanks for the aclaration.