APC Forum

Screens

SamGurdus

Do most of you guys use screens bought specifically for firework manufacturing, or do you find them elsewhere? I would like to buy some 4 mesh screen for granulating BP, but it is $30 on skylighter for an unframed screen.

Menards 1/4" hardware cloth.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/fencing/utility-fencing/1-4-mesh-hardware-cloth/1713121/p-1449547089915.htm

Do most of you guys use screens bought specifically for firework manufacturing, or do you find them elsewhere? I would like to buy some 4 mesh screen for granulating BP, but it is $30 on skylighter for an unframed screen.

Melting the screens into nestable buckets or plastic boxes is my preferred method for mixing screens. I love being able to piggy-back screens so easily and having built in catch buckets. One to break up clumps, and one to mix, etc. For granulating, the lower sides of wooden framed screens can be nice.

Those stainless screens offered by McMaster are really nice. Hardware cloth is great for drying screens, but isn't my favorite for wet applications. It works fine, but I've probably been spoiled by stainless for the same applications.

Mum-Pyro used to give away all sorts of bucket tops for free, he used the bottoms for star sorters. I used those to make my bucket screens and I agree with Mumbles about stacking them, when classifying BP, nothing gets the job done faster.