APC Forum

What type of licences do you need to manufacture fireworks

SamGurdus

Noob question, but what type of licences do you need to manufacture fireworks in the US? I've heard that as long as you keep the fireworks on your property only, don't sell them, or store them, you don't need any license? Is this true, or do you need an ATF license?

Here is your free and without obligation, copy of the ATF Orange Book!!

Explosives, at a Federal level ONLY can be made and used on your own property (same day) without a license. Fireworks may or may not be explosive, sparklers under 100g are not, lanterns are, salutes are, etc. I know of no state that does not have laws about fireworks and explosives, then counties have them, followed by cities and townships.

I live in Minne-snow-ta, we have to follow the Orange book, state law, county law and city law, each can be more restrictive than the other but never less restrictive. In my city, I have to get a permit as well as the ATF license, that fee is $350.00 a year!

The state is silent on manufacturing fireworks though, they just shoe you over the the ATF unless you are a display operator. Then they have State Statute 624.2 to comply with.

Good luck but PLEASE! Join a pyro club in your state if you want to make fireworks!

Edited by dagabu