APC Forum

Drying stars

Merlin

I am using a home made box. Igloo cooler with screen rack and heat ducted in from a ceramic heater. I remember reading the heat source should be outside the dry box so this may be a stupid question. I have a large food dehydrator that is not in use except a a dust collector. Of course the heat source is integrated in the dehydrator. Do any of you use food dehydrators for pyro or is that a really bad idea? It would dry better than my box as the temp can be controlled from 95 to 158F and has several racks.

Ive used a dehydrator exclusively since the beginning and never had any problems. They don't get that hot (they're supposed to dry the food not cook it!) so I don't think the heater is a source of ignition. But, to be on the safe side, I have all the shelves screened with rather fine screen (approx. 20 mesh) and I clean it at every use so there is no build-up of dust. You must have a fancy one since mine doesn't have any temp control. I put a thermometer in it once and it was running at 95 F with an ambient of 65 F

Edited by MadMat

Thanks for the reply. My thoughts are for flammable solids eg. Stars primed with a final BP layer. My dehydrater only heats to Max of 158F. It's not the temperature that concerns me but if a spark could be produced and ignite the contents.

Think of a typical hair dryer. It has a fan blowing across heating elements. Sometimes lent, dust collects can break free and make a spark when it hits the heating element. I don't know how typical food dehydraters are constructed but they do pull in ambient air and heat it similar to a hair blow dryer. You have used one successfully so maybe my concern is unfounded. It would be great to be able to control temperature and have multiple racks. Thanks

Well I can't speak for your dehydrator, but the fan motor on mine is an induction motor (no brushes, no sparks). the one thing that bothers me about your unit is, it has a thermostat on it, which could potentially be a source of a spark when the contacts open or close. Mine is a dumb one... no source of sparks except maybe the switch, which I never use. I simply plug it in and unplug it.

I have torn a part a few, they have open hear coils. if one should short out witch they do, it could lite you stars. why take the risk. merlin you already have a ceramic heater. I think I would just stick with that. kind of just like a glue gun they work great until the short out in a shower of sparks Edited by memo

All good points. Glad I didn't "experiment". I will relegate it to individual non flammable chems.

Thanks guys.