APC Forum

ball milling magnesium with linseed oil?

pyrobert

Today I spindled a boiler anode to get some MgAl shavings for effect. I coated it with linseed oil dissolved in acetone.

Now, I'm thinking about spindling some more and ball milling it to get fine powder. I read it is dangerous, because the MgAl can be pyrohoric. But what if I add 3% oil and acetone to the shavings and put it together in the ball mill before it dries? I hope it can exclude some oxigen from the surface of the metal. Then, when it finished, I can add 2% more linseed oil to give the decent protect to the magnalium.

I think it can work, but i have not dare to mill it so far. Opinions?

Anodes are magnesium not magnalium. Everything I've read says don't mill it but August turns out hundreds of pounds of 48 hour and coarser milled magnalium. I think Lloyd got burned opening a jar of milled magnesium.
  • Like 1

As OM said, what you have is MAGNESIUM, not magnalium. Magnalium is less reactive and also much more friable (crunchy) than magnesium, so it's easier process. Do not attempt to ball mill your magnesium.

If you need a magnalium powder, it's much more cost effective to purchase it pre-made and ground/classified to specification. If you do want to turn your anode into magnalium, there are a few tutorials available. Molten metal is very dangerous.

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/2787-making-magnalium/

Edited by FrankRizzo
  • Like 1