APC Forum

Fractional distillation

tylerngo

I understand that the vapour will consist of both cyclohexane and toulene, and it will cool, condense, and vapourise again in the process of fractional distillation. I believe the option should be A as the mixture is supposed to go up the column slowly.
However, a part of me also thinks it's option D, "nothing" because refluxing is supposed to happen. Am I getting the question right?

Brumer

If this is a homework question, please post the entire question and the answer options.

As the vapor travels up the column, you will get various mixtures at each theoretical plate. If your column and reflux ratio is designed correctly, you will be able to separate off the cyclohexane first.

Cyclohexane and toluene might form an azeotrope. It does with benzene. With enough theoretical plates, you'll eventually approach that azeotrope limit. You need to do some different things to break the azeotrope. If there is not one, it will eventually separate into pure cyclohexane and toluene theoretically given enough theoretical plates