APC Forum

Someone knows which star composition this is?

redbullzuiper

Does someone know which star composition is used inside these shells?

I really like it. I think its Tigertails with Titanium, but I am not sure.

Want to copy these shells :)

I think you're right Yus, probably something very similar to Nashiki Kamuro. (Hardt brocade willow)

Just looks to be slightly more sparse possibly, could be due to either a higher oxidizer to charcoal ratio, or just smaller stars, or both.

Here's the Kamuro formula so you don't have to go hunt it down.

29 KNO3

34 C

25 Fe/Ti (40-325)

6 S

6 Dextrin

Mind the video has 2.5 inch shells, so you can bet the stars are fairly small. (3/8" maybe?)

If it still burns too long then simply vary the ratio of nitrate and charcoal, swapping more nitrate for charcoal as to add oxygen.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Does someone know which star composition is used inside these shells?

https://youtu.be/B8YN891zbv8

I really like it. I think its Tigertails with Titanium, but I am not sure.

Want to copy these shells :)

looks like TT with ferro-titanium

Don't tigertail stars have a longer hangtime? As it looks in the video it has a shorter duration.

Anyway, I rolled yesterday the Tigertail star composition with 10% titanium flakes added.

Thanks for the suggestion PhoenixRising, I will roll the Kamuro formula aswell. I will lower the charcoal content and increase the KNO3 content, so it burns a little bit faster.

I don't have Ferro-Titanium yet, so just titanium flakes would be fine? I don't have titanium sponge aswell, only very small particles of very pure and shinny titanium :|

Edited by redbullzuiper
  • Like 1

NP Red, glad I could help.

You're right, TT will have a longer tail than what the video is showing.

Unfortunately Titanium won't give you the color you're looking for, but rest assured you can replace the Fe/Ti with your Ti and it will 'work' just fine.

Titanium tends to give bright white sparks (as I'm sure you know) so expect the TT +10 Ti to leave a nice white and orange tail. It'll still look real nice regardless, I kinda wanna make some now. :)

You can always try to add 2 or 3 percent sodium bicarbonate to contaminate the Titanium's color with some gold, but it may still be a bit brighter than what you're looking for.

If you go the bicarb route, make sure to anticipate slower burn by dropping a little more charcoal and increase the oxidizer. Flip-flopping the nitrate to C ratio might be a good starting point. (34/29 nitrate to C)

I've never seen an 'all-flake' titanium effect yet, I bet that's going to be neat. The Ti I have is sphere mixed with some coarse flakes, and they tend to burn quite bright.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Just re-reading and brainstorming a bit here:

The mesh of the metals used is going to have considerable impact on the length of the tail, as well as how well you mill the charcoal that will be used.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Just for the sake of it, I want to try an iteration of this. I have very little experience with Ferrotitanium stars and would like to make more.

I do have something that's getting shared VERY soon, and it uses Fe/Ti with NaNO3, among other things. More on that soon.

For this test I'll probably try flipping the oxidizer to carbon ratio.

34 KNO3

29 C

25 FeTi

6 S

6 Dextrin

I know you don't have Ferrotitanium, Red, but hopefully this will help you decide if you want to pursue buying some.

See ya on the dry side. ;)

Just found this today, seems to be an interesting take on diadem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7MN3tiXxs

I really like this one. A lot.

EDITED:

Earlier, I speculated this might be a 'sodium' version, but after a bit of thinking it's likely just the camera giving a more orange hue.

Edited by PhoenixRising
  • Like 1

Was doing some reading tonight and found this thread that's about 7 years old, or at least hasn't been updated in 7 years.

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/5246-gold-crown-comp/page-1

This thread contained not only info about FeTi comps, but also getting good breaks with these effects, and even a bit about Firefly stars.

I found it by doing a google search for gold chrysanthemum formula or something to that effect.

What a great thread. Wish I'd seen it sooner.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Im replying so late haha, but @PhoenixRising, incase you are wondering how the Ai bright flakes looked like instead of the Ti / Ferro-Ti here is the video.