APC Forum

Nitrocellulose granulated black powder.

AussieBombTech

I suppose everyones goals for BP allign with seperate objectives. The reason i use the dissolving method revolves around the need for large batches of cheap,functional BP made quickly and with a high degree of repeatable performance. I do use mills to make very hot powder and i agree it is the best method for achieving a hot powder but most of my needs only require an average performance with normal grain hardness. The prills, agg sulfer, milled ERC and good dextrin achieve those requirements. Its all about what works best for your application, i make a lot of rockets so the idea of using NC and having the possibility of inadvertantly using that powder to hand ram a motor is enough of a deterrent for me to not keep it around.

• 3 years later...

I still use Dex/ water to bind BP but I can't help wondering if one used alcohol and phenolic resin what the result would be? Very hard grains that maybe augmented by the phenolic?

I use phenolic bound Black powder on occasion, I dont use dry phenolic milled or mixed in, instead I found it easier to make a concentrated phenolic lacquer.

I'm slowly working through my lacquer I made a while back. It's around 40grams per cup of acetone.

The grains come out reasonably strong, definitely better than anything I've been able to get with dextrin. You could probably make it stronger with more resin, but might decrease its speed.

I found it to be fast even with just screen mixed hardwood powder. Definitely burns hotter heat wise.

-james

Edited by TheMetalKing