• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jwheld

Jwheld

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hi all. Im brand new to rockets and plan to start with sugar rockets. My setup to begin with is a dowel ram rod and drill bits for nozzles.

In order to be the most successful, I have some questions. So, I plan on doing a dry blended mix of KNO3, Powdered Sugar, and iron oxide. After grinding the KNO3 to a powder, should I bake it or store it with desiccant before mixing fuel to get any moisture out?

I plan on using 65:35 with about 1% iron oxide. The rockets will be 1/2 I.d. And Im following the tutorial on Skylighter.

Any other considerations?

Ive got 50 tubes so I can do some experimenting. As the budget permits Id like to get into 3/4 black powder rockets and send some stars into the air.

Thanks again for your helps!

#2 stix

stix

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

When using powdered KNSU, make sure to pack in small increments to get a compact fuel grain. This is probably the biggest point of failure that is not always understood.

Keep asking questions here, and you'll get good help and hopefully great results.

Have fun, but above all, be safe.

Cheers.

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#3 Plasmaniax

Plasmaniax

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

How would you use a zinc/sulphur propellant? New to this as well.

#4 MadMat

MadMat

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Anything scientific.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

ZnS is a low specific impulse mixture. It isn't easy to make one of these rockets fly. Not to mention, it creates huge clouds of smelly, semi-toxic gases. It's not worth the trouble. If you happen to have a bunch of powdered zinc laying around, you would be better off making granite stars with it instead of trying to make ZnS rockets

Edited by MadMat, 14 September 2018 - 09:49 PM.

• stix likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users