APC Forum

Question about nitrate color stars bound with phenolic

redbullzuiper

For what it's worth BP can be made with phenolic. I made some just to see. BP turned out fine but it is definitely not worth the effort. Water is cheaper than alcohol and the phenolic makes a mess with charcoal and you have to use more alcohol to clean up. Same for charcoal based stars.

I tried some tiger tail stars using phenolic as the binder and got meteorites.

Etil alcool may contains Etil methyl keton as additive, or Parfums and oils, look at composition, Etil methyl keton may cause the sweet smell and made longer the drying time

Etil alcool may contains Etil methyl keton as additive, or Parfums and oils, look at composition, Etil methyl keton may cause the sweet smell and made longer the drying time

Yep, you are right. I noticed the same smell with my Perchlorate stars few days ago. And also these take a long time to dry. So this message of you confirms that it has something todo with the used alcohol aswell. I will buy Isopropyl alcohol next time, see if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

In my opinion if you can buy it and the cost is not too hi aceton is the best solution for damp climate in your case the presence of parlon can be another plus. Edited by kingkama

In my opinion if you can buy it and the cost is not too hi aceton is the best solution for damp climate in your case the presence of parlon can be another plus.

I could, but I won't. Aceton makes my star roller a mess when parlon is present :o

• 5 weeks later...