APC Forum

Weird strobe

AussieBombTech

I mixed some -325# with some damp black powder (the putty type when youre granulating) anyway. I decided to light some off and see what would happen, thinking it wouldnt burn, to my amazement it starts burning, and strobing and crackling. I think crackling due to the water but I cant work out why it burnt so steadily and strobed? Anyone have any ideas? Im going to put it in a gerb and see if I can make a strobing gerb

I'm willing to bet that the we mix made it burn slow enough to not produce a flame, when water boiled off heat increased and it would then consume the aluminum producing a flash and extinguishing the flame.. the cycle would then repeat.. even slightly wet bp will simply shoulder rather than producing a flame... Al probably already that up a little.

I'm willing to bet that the we mix made it burn slow enough to not produce a flame, when water boiled off heat increased and it would then consume the aluminum producing a flash and extinguishing the flame.. the cycle would then repeat.. even slightly wet bp will simply shoulder rather than producing a flame... Al probably already that up a little.

Yeah but it wasn’t smouldering. It was fully burning (slowly) but flashing. I think the magnalium was burning off and reacting with the water. I’ll do another test today and see what happens