APC Forum

Smelly stars

BetICouldMake1

I made a few green and blue veline stars omitting the dextrin and bound with acetone. They are rock hard and burn great bit they still stink of acetone. Is that normal? I figured the acetone would evaporate and the smell with it.

They dried on screens with a fan for 3 days or so (was around 80 degrees at the time) then into plastic containers about 2 weeks ago. Didn't seem to smell when I stored them but definitely noticed when I opened them up.

I don't doubt that but I'm just curious what mistake would prevent the solvent from evaporating other than too short a dry time? For 1/4in stars bound with parlon/acetone I'd think 3 days ample dry time, no?

I store my rubber stars in oatmeal boxes since they aren't hygroscopic and it allows any driven in acetone to evaporate over time. It doesn't affect the burn time at all I've found.

• 3 weeks later...

I made some Veline red stars a week or so ago. Today I got them out to use as a core and roll larger. Some of them are moldy(white in color). Maybe I didn't let them dry enough. What I am wondering is if it is possible for these to react and maybe ignite?

I assume you used water as solvent if they were moldy? I don't think that comp would react from moisture, but others certainly know better than me.

I've run into this same situation with my rubber stars, but have never had any problems using them. It seems that the odor collects when the stars are stored for a time in a sealed jar, but when left out in the open the smell seems to dissipate. Then, when put back in a jar for a while, the odor will return. If left out for a very long time, the odor does eventually go away completely. I have wondered if this is due to impurities in the acetone, since I don't know how acetone is commercially produced, I don't know about the possibility of heavier molecular weight ketones being present. Or maybe it's just due to the fact that you have a mixture of finely divided powders with a huge amount of surface area to trap acetone.

Edited by MadMat